ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Recommend some music videos to me!

<< < (244/300) > >>

tomos:
I just came across this:

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IvUU8joBb1Q[/youtube]

Wintergatan - Marble Machine (music instrument using 2000 marbles)
-Deozaan (March 02, 2016, 11:56 PM)
--- End quote ---

brilliant :Thmbsup: :-*

MilesAhead:
Wintergatan - Marble Machine (music instrument using 2000 marbles)
-Deozaan (March 02, 2016, 11:56 PM)
--- End quote ---

Did I get it wrong or did it look in one of the sections of the vid where it showed the internal belt feeding through, that there were squares on the belt that actually made the melody?  Sort of like the cylinder on a player piano.  It didn't seem to me as if the marbles were required accept as eye candy.  Maybe I imagined it.

tomos:
Did I get it wrong or did it look in one of the sections of the vid where it showed the internal belt feeding through, that there were squares on the belt that actually made the melody?  Sort of like the cylinder on a player piano.
-MilesAhead (March 03, 2016, 04:04 PM)
--- End quote ---
that true

It didn't seem to me as if the marbles were required accept as eye candy.  Maybe I imagined it.
--- End quote ---
no, they were working too --
I *think* they were playing the guitar strings, and they were definitely playing the xylophone, and generally making clacky sounds :-)

Deozaan:
Did I get it wrong or did it look in one of the sections of the vid where it showed the internal belt feeding through, that there were squares on the belt that actually made the melody?  Sort of like the cylinder on a player piano.  It didn't seem to me as if the marbles were required accept as eye candy.  Maybe I imagined it.
--- End quote ---

I was under the impression that they were what was causing the marbles to come down at the appropriate time. You can see it in action from about 35-45 seconds into the video. The pegs move an arm which lifts open a gate and lets a marble drop out.

As best as I can tell, all sounds are produced by the marbles hitting something. And other than the guy moving his hands up & down the guitar frets and spinning the crank and flipping switches now and then to activate/deactivate certain parts of the machine, everything else is done by the marbles.

tomos:
^ aahh okay, that makes sense: I thought (like Miles I think) that that arm made sounds -- I mean directly as opposed to indirectly.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version