ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Recommend some music videos to me!

<< < (241/300) > >>

tomos:
I discovered Wilhelm Kempff this week.
I also discovered Beethoven's Tempest Sonata [..]-tomos (February 05, 2016, 06:16 AM)
--- End quote ---
Very nice. I've been listening to this lately; at the time, poor Isaac Stern looks like his health is about ready to fail at any moment, but his playing proves him ever the Master. Isaac Stern & Jean-Bernard Pommier - César Franck Violin Sonata in A major - 1st & 2nd mvt
César Franck Violin Sonata in A major - 1st mvt
César Franck Violin Sonata in A major - 2nd mvt
-holt (February 08, 2016, 09:50 AM)
--- End quote ---
thanks, looking forward to those :up:
Took  me a while to figure out the links though :-) they're back to front: link is actually the video title (I fixed it in the quoted text).

xtabber:
I discovered Wilhelm Kempff this week.
I also discovered Beethoven's Tempest Sonata -- via Nokia's 'Silver' ringtone which is a variation on the start of the third movement :-)
Beethoven's Tempest Sonata - Third Movement
(no other performance I've heard on youtube touches this one)
-tomos (February 05, 2016, 06:16 AM)
--- End quote ---

I love the Beethoven piano sonatas and also Kempff -- actually heard him perform Beethoven over 50 years ago -- but this particular performance doesn't do all that much for me.

Try this one by Grigory Sokolov, one of the greatest - and quirkiest - pianists performing today.

tomos:
^ That one's very different isn't it -- much more staccato. After having listened to the Kempff performance a lot, I had to listen to this a couple of times to adjust.
It really is wonderful, thanks for the tip!

MilesAhead:
Adam Nussbaum played at a free concert at MDC Wednesday. I don't know the technical drumming term for his style. But he plays many different off beat rhythms mixed together. The solos were shorter and more varied than expected. The composition of his he played that I liked most was "Hey Pretty Baby." He said it was inspired by the old time blues men. A funky bass line with vamping by the other players. Not your basic walking blues. It sounded quite original.

Edit:  I am not a musician so terms may be defined differently by people who know what they are talking about.  Kind of like the automobile side view mirror thing.  You get an idea what I mean but it is probably distorted.  :)

40hz:
@Miles - you are so right about Nussbaum. One of my all time favorite drummers. I don't really know what his style would be called either. It's a polyrhythmic sort of thing like you'd hear in the Thelonius Monk Quartet and some of those other old bebop bands. One thing that's interesting to me is how his phrasing is more like a horn player's than your average drummer.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version