ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Recommend some music videos to me!

<< < (184/300) > >>

40hz:
^Perhaps "schlock" wasn't quite the word I was looking for. Let's call it "sweet" instead... :)-40hz (January 13, 2015, 08:10 AM)
--- End quote ---

ouch, I watched a live concert from 1976 (Carpenters - Live in Holland) - that was schlock, painful really most of it :(
But still a fan of most of the studio stuff - the singles anyways, I never had an album by them.
-tomos (January 14, 2015, 05:55 AM)
--- End quote ---

You have to remember the times. If you were a woman in pop music you were The Singer. Period.

Funny thing was, she always thought of herself primarily as a drummer who also sang rather than just as a singer.
Most of her fans never knew she was a phenomenal drummer who was actually recognized and acknowledged by many of the 'name' drummers of her era. But even that wasn't enough to get Karen out from under that microphone and evening gown. A woman drummer? The music industry was having none of it. Except for when they thought it would be "funny" to have her dashing back and forth between drumsets as a novelty number on TV.

And despite the advances made by women in music since the 70s, not all that much has changed in the recording industry.

Sad.

40hz:
Not much of a video, but still a great song: Icarus written by Ralph Towner and performed by The Paul Winter Consort.

Paul Winter and Ralph Towner have each recorded a dozen or more versions of this classic. I personally think this early recording (below) was the best.

FWIW, Ralph Towner considers this live version to be the definitive recording:

While the audio quality is definitely better, I can't help but feel it's just a little too self-conscious and refined compared to the original. To my mind it's lost some of the spontaneity and improvisatory quality of the first recording. But who am I to argue with the guy who bloody wrote it? ;D

panzer:

Reminds me of post-apocalyptic Earth where only a small group of people is still alive. One of these groups lives on a beach on Hawaii - they have a party and this song is playing in the background :)

Vurbal:
The original take of I'm Losing You by John Lennon, featuring Rick Nielsen and Bun E Carlos from Cheap Trick on guitar and drums and Tony Levin on bass.

40hz:
featuring Rick Nielsen and Bun E Carlos from Cheap Trick on guitar and drums and Tony Levin on bass.
-Vurbal (January 21, 2015, 07:23 AM)
--- End quote ---

Wow! Talk about an all-star lineup. I'm always impressed how the real pros, who can play anything, know when (and have enough self-confidence) to go with a lean & mean minimalistic arrangement when it serves the song.

But that's what separates the professional musicians from the wannabes. It's all about serving the song. :Thmbsup:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version