ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Recommend some music videos to me!

<< < (164/300) > >>

40hz:
Robert Fripp's New Standard Tuning, maybe.
-Edvard (October 04, 2014, 01:48 PM)
--- End quote ---

It's an interesting experiment. And probably worth pursuing if you want to play that "not really jazz" thing Fripp does. :P

FWIW I think Alan Holdsworth does "not jazz" far better. And he uses standard Torres tuning most of the time. 8)

Speaking of which, here's Alan talking about his signature model Carvin:

To be honest, although I admire Alan Holdsworth as a musician and an innovator on guitar, I can't really say I find his sound and music to be all that enjoyable. Interesting perhaps. But not really enjoyable. He's kinda like John Cage, whom I admire more as a theoretician and experimentalist than I do as a composer or performer.

Just my :two:

40hz:
This from OpenCulture.com

Musician Shows How to Sing Two Notes at Once in Mesmerizing Video

in Music | October 6th, 2014

Anna-Maria Hefele, a musician based in Munich, has an unusual talent. She can sing two notes at once. In the music world, it’s known as polyphonic overtone singing, and it’s believed that the practice originated and still endures in Mongolia. Above, Hefele offers a pretty captivating five-minute display of her technique. On her website, she notes that she offers concerts, lecture performances, and workshops in overtone singing. In fact, there’s a workshop being held later this month near Salzburg, Austria. Find updates on Hefele’s Facebook page. Enjoy!
--- End quote ---

She's pretty amazing! (She's also rather pretty too.  ;) )

:Thmbsup:

Renegade:
(Think parts of Eddie Van Halen's solo in Panama or Somebody Get Me a Doctor for examples of where it does fit.)
-40hz (October 04, 2014, 02:46 PM)
--- End quote ---

+1 for 40hz's analysis.

Panama cued up to a mind bending solo: http://youtu.be/w-NshzYK9y0?t=2m10s

(I never could nail that solo. Everything else was easy and fun, but the solo? Nah. I could never get it right.)

Somebody Get Me a Doctor cued: http://youtu.be/NkJOZOOXJWk?t=1m10s

It's more obvious in Panama though. Somebody Get Me a Doctor is more subtle.

But, there's a reason why Eddie is venerated as a guitar (demi)god.

Art often involves "infanticide". You kill your babies. You work and work and come up with this uber cool riff/phrase/paragraph/plot line/method/UI/whatever, and then you realise that you have to kill it. Because, well, various reasons. That bit was beautiful, and you loved it - it was your baby... and then you realise that it can't see the light of day in the broader canvas that you'll present to the world.

Salt and cumin are great, but pouring an entire package in your meal doesn't work.

wraith808:

Anna-Maria Hefele, a musician based in Munich, has an unusual talent. She can sing two notes at once. In the music world, it’s known as polyphonic overtone singing, and it’s believed that the practice originated and still endures in Mongolia. Above, Hefele offers a pretty captivating five-minute display of her technique. On her website, she notes that she offers concerts, lecture performances, and workshops in overtone singing. In fact, there’s a workshop being held later this month near Salzburg, Austria. Find updates on Hefele’s Facebook page. Enjoy!
--- End quote ---

She's pretty amazing! (She's also rather pretty too.  ;) )

-40hz (October 06, 2014, 09:00 AM)
--- End quote ---

Avi Kaplan from Pentatonix can do this too.

The Lion Sleeps Tonight

His parts in this song merge throat singing with dubstep overtone.

Renegade:

--- End quote ---

She's pretty amazing! (She's also rather pretty too.  ;) )

-40hz (October 06, 2014, 09:00 AM)
--- End quote ---

1. HA! Let's see the pitch correction* software deal with that! :P
2. Bah, that can all be done in the studio and fixed in the mix! :P
3. Yeah... pretty damn amazing! :D

But seriously, that was darn cool.  :Thmbsup:

I do wish that she would have used words in some places.

From the page:

the video is live, and every human being is able learn overtone singing ;) ....well...not starting directly with polyphonic overtone singing.... but singing overtones on one fundamental isn't too hard.
--- End quote ---

I would like to see her do a tutorial on how to do it. Just a very basic one. But everyone can do it? Wow. That's a big claim.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version