ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Recommend some music videos to me!

<< < (135/300) > >>

Edvard:
WTH... it's basically a steel drum without the 50-gallon barrel attached, tuned to what sounds like A Phrygian*  :-\

[EDIT]Wikipedia has more on it's construction, and it's actually a little more complicated than that (but not much), incorporating a corresponding bowl for the bottom with an opening to create Helmholtz resonance, and tuned to (more or less) a D Aeolian (Natural Minor), without the 'G'.

Agree though, it's quite a mesmerizing sound.

*Actually, depending on what you choose for your "root" note (fundamental), the same scale could be A Phrygian, A# Lydian, C Mixolydian, D Aeolian, E Locrian, or F Major... if you're a geek about that sort of thing, that is... :-[

40hz:
Not so much a video as a 1.5 hour long documentary!

BBC Prog Rock Britannia an Observation in Three Movements

BBC Prog Rock Britannia an Observation in Three Movements. Feature-length documentary about progressive music and the generation of bands that made it. Follows it's birth, its rise in the UK and US and its decline.

Covers Yes, Genesis, ELP - Emerson Lake & Palmer, Soft Machine, EGG, King Crimson, Procol Harum, Caravan and interviews with Rick Wakeman, Steve Howe, Bill Bruford, Carl Parmer, Mont Campbell, Phil Collins, Pete Sinfield, Tony Banks, Mike Rutherford, Arthur Brown, Robert Wyatt, Gary Brooker, Mike Oldfield, Jonathan Coe, Ian Anderson, Bob Harris
--- End quote ---

This is about of the only documentary on prog rock I've ever seen that got all the details right, including: which band really originated the genre (The Wilde Flowers) - and what effectively destroyed it (hint: ELP and Genesis post Peter Gabriel).

If you're one of those people who hauls out a pair of headphones and secretly listens to old Moody Blues and Caravan vinyl albums - by yourself - late at night - with all the lights turned off - this documentary is for you.
 ;D :Thmbsup:

Note: it's probably not a bad idea to download if you're interested. The BBC has been pretty adamant about getting their stuff removed from Youtube - and this copy has been up for about a year now.

superboyac:
Moody Blues!!  omg...that is so closet for me!  Nice, called me out there.
I secretly like skipping to the "it's not the way..." part, before it picks up again.

40hz:
Moody Blues!!  omg...that is so closet for me!  Nice, called me out there.
I secretly like skipping to the "it's not the way..." part, before it picks up again.
-superboyac (January 23, 2014, 12:16 PM)
--- End quote ---

That's ok. You're among friends here. ;D

In my case it's: The Actor, Watching and Waiting, Timothy Leary's Dead, and Let Merlin Cast His Spell for 'headphone hour.'  ;D

But that's how it goes when you're:

note: Good to see Dave Pegg here on bass again. He was easily  (from 1979-1995) the best of all of the Tull bassists IMO! 8)

Edvard:
I'm a metalhead from way back, and I always find it *ahem* interesting what long-haired freaks with waaaay too much volume on their hands will come up with to keep the genre from drying up.  But... ummm...  Dude, whaa???

This just in from our Japan office of the "What is this, I don't even" department:

WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot (how did I even get to this part of youtube? Wait, don't answer that...)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version