ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Recommend some music videos to me!

<< < (95/300) > >>

tomos:
This brought a huge smile to my face (direct youtube link):

Have you ever had a dream that you can play the guitar effortlessly and produce beautiful music and it happens in your dreams like it just flows out of you without requiring any concentration or planning.. this video made me think of such dreams.-mouser (March 18, 2010, 03:28 PM)
--- End quote ---

this guy - Ronnie Moipolai, from Botswana, is doing a concert in Cape Town in January
with a David Kramer (possibly the youtube uploader) and some guy from the desert that
plays a three stringed box fiddle style instrument (one for 40!).
Nice to see him getting around anyway :up:

40hz:
[/url] (one for 40!).
-tomos (November 06, 2012, 06:19 AM)
--- End quote ---

Thx tomos! Sure is. Both for the box fiddle and the 7/8 (and sometimes 11/8) time he's playing it in! ;D :Thmbsup:

mouser:
I still love that clip/song.  :up:

Edvard:
1979. The Shadows and Light Tour. Here's Joni Mitchell in a performance of her song Free Man in Paris accompanied by Pat Metheny, Lyle Mays, Michael Brecker, Don Alias, and (the much missed) Jaco Pastorius on bass.

With a band lineup like that nothing further needs be said. :Thmbsup:
-40hz (November 02, 2012, 08:32 AM)
--- End quote ---

Nice clip, 40.  I really like this song, and I have a story behind it.  Years ago, I was talking with a friend about music groups and their inspirations.  He told me that he had read in an interview that Talking Heads really just wanted to be a white version of K.C. and the Sunshine Band.  I scoffed, until one day I was listening to K.C. and the Sunshine Band's first album (scored the vinyl at a Goodwill record bin) and tried to imagine David Byrne singing "That's the Way (I Like It)" and somehow, it clicked.  This same friend also told me he had read that Led Zeppelin's main influence was Joni Mitchell.  I didn't believe him on that either, until one day I happened to listen to Led Zeppelin II in it's entirety before flipping on the radio and "Free Man in Paris" was the next song.

Bingo.

Now I can't hear that song without imagining it's Robert Plant singing...  ;D

40hz:
^Yup. Joni Mitchell, the musical genius pretty lady from Canada. I've adored her work for as long as I've been listening to music. One of the most innovative of jazz-inspired vocalists. The first song I ever heard by her was Night in the City. I must have played that song for two hours straight amazed by her voice (and trying to figure out just what Steven Stills was getting up to with that bassline) before I went out and and bought everything by her I could get my hands on. I've never looked back.

Recommend some music videos to me!  Recommend some music videos to me!  Recommend some music videos to me!

Did you know she is a big explorer of alternate and experimental guitar tunings? Much of what she plays doesn't use the standard Torres EADGBE.

Recommend some music videos to me!

When she got a guitar synth it really opened things up for her because she was no longer restrained by the physics of the strings and could set each to whatever note she wanted it to be. And thanks to the miracle called MIDI, could even do tuning changes within a song in realtime. She once said her favorite compositional technique was to come up with a new tuning and then write a song using it. She said she liked alternate tunings because each time you found one it was like having to learn how to play the guitar all over again. Oh my!

She's also a recognized and respected modern artist when it comes to painting. Her artwork fetches serious money in major galleries whenever it appears. She's done the art for almost all of her albums too.

Amazing lady. :-*

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version