ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Recommend some music videos to me!

<< < (62/300) > >>

Curt:
-really a traditional Celtic Christmas song, and quite similar to her track The Mummer's Dance.
Good find  :up:

40hz:
-really a traditional Celtic Christmas song, and quite similar to her track The Mummer's Dance.
Good find  :up:

-Curt (January 05, 2012, 03:02 AM)
--- End quote ---

More a traditional Samhain song in that the oldest tradition of the Celts wasn't Christian. One of those basic 'portal' festivals that occurred on solstices and equinoxes. In this case the beginning of the 'season of darkness' where the door between the realms of the life and death was opened for a single night and free passage back and forth between them made possible. A severely watered down version continues on as the children's holiday of Halloween. Many of the rituals and imagery of this festival (and others) got repurposed for the 'new' Christmas by Christian missionaries when they systematically wiped out the old pagan culture and traditions in the British Isles.

I sometimes wonder what someone from one of those old indigenous tribes would have thought if they could see how the most (some argue second most) important spiritual event of their year has been reduced to a silly costume festival - and an excuse for vandalism.

Anyway...if you enjoyed that clip, there are several others from the same concert also up on YouTube.  :)

tomos:
^ Christmas-date is based on the older winter solstice festivals (and the celebration that the days are getting longer).

was Samhain/Halloween/All-Souls-day not related to the equinox? No, that's earlier - seems to be as you say end-of-summer/start-of-winter fest.
Okay, I see from wikipedia, they do say that Samhain might have been considered as the start of the year. Hadn't known that before :)

Curt:
This song is not twelve hundred years old. I have it on a "Celtic Christmas Songs" compilation.

40hz:
^Yup! The old Pagan calendar (and festivals) don't exactly sync or equate with our more modern post-Christian ones - although ritual equivalents and overlapping themes abound. Mircea Eliade and Joseph Campbell had a lot to say on that topic.

The old calendar is found "in the blood, the sky, and the earth" and differs from the seasons "born of the Book of the New Law" as some of today's pagans would put it.
 :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version