ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Recommend some music videos to me!

<< < (186/300) > >>

Vurbal:
^In my case, the chief inspirations in my formative years were: Paul McCartney, Jonathan Lodge, Andy Kulburg, Greg Lake, and Dave Paton. I'm pretty much UK inspired with the exception of Andy Kulberg. Hmm...roots in Motown but heavily influenced by that melodic UK vibe. No wonder I don't sound like anybody else according to people I've played with. I don't know what I am!!!! ;D
-40hz (January 21, 2015, 04:33 PM)
--- End quote ---

Yet another interesting coincidence. Once I hit my late teens, and started really expanding my musical palette, that UK sound was a huge influence on me too. I feel like the Brits had some real advantages for a couple reasons. The first is the regional folk music, which provided both the melodic element you mentioned, but also made their compositions less formulaic and pattern oriented.

Once the blues really exploded in London, there was an influx of jazz drummers and bassists recruited to provide the foundation for people like Eric Clapton and Peter Green. Add in the formally trained classical and jazz talent in the recording studios, both among the producers and session musicians, and you have a sort of perfect musical storm to produce a wide array of sounds.

I guess I technically discovered Greg Lake when a prog rock nut friend of mine gave me a copy of pictures at an exhibition. He seems to get dismissed as a bassist by a lot of prog rock fanboys because he's less about technical virtuosity than sitting back in the pocket. For me, of course, that's part of his appeal. What's even cooler, though, is how he throws in all kinds of harmonies you wouldn't expect, but he can still bring the funk.

What really changed my playing was when I picked up a stack of old Jethro Tull albums at a second hand record shop and discovered Glen Cornick. His bass lines from Stand Up, Benefit, and Living In The Past created the blueprint for their future arrangements, long after he was fired. Their version of Bach's Bouree is like a master class in how to glue a song together on bass. He starts out right up front, harmonizing with the flute, then slides back between the drums and guitar before throwing down a brilliant solo without a single wasted note, and then leads the whole band back in for the big finish.

What's really cool to me is how he integrates the low harmonies from the Bach original in the walking lines at the beginning and end. Even the first part of the solo evokes a baroque feel without ever losing that amazing groove.

40hz:
I guess I technically discovered Greg Lake when a prog rock nut friend of mine gave me a copy of pictures at an exhibition. He seems to get dismissed as a bassist by a lot of prog rock fanboys because he's less about technical virtuosity than sitting back in the pocket. For me, of course, that's part of his appeal. What's even cooler, though, is how he throws in all kinds of harmonies you wouldn't expect, but he can still bring the funk.

-Vurbal (January 22, 2015, 01:05 PM)
--- End quote ---

For me it was hearing his bass line on From the Beginning on the Trilogy album. That was my "What the heck is that???" moment. It was...OMG...utterly melodic! That bass didn't only sound smooth and clear and beautiful - it could also hold its own balanced up against the tonal purity of a Moog using the awesome 'Cosmic Wow' patch!

Then I read his interview in Guitar Player and discovered he was using something called Rotosound Swing Bass strings on a really oddball (for the time) bass made by Gibson called The Ripper (or more prosaically the L9-S).

Recommend some music videos to me!    Recommend some music videos to me!

I immediately switched to Rotosound strings on my Fender Jazz bass, and saved up as quickly as possible to buy a Ripper about a year later - which I still have and use as my main instrument to this day. It now sports nickel roundwounds from DR since D'Addario no longer makes the copper-wound strings I preferred to put on it. (They have recently introduced copper-coated strings called XL Reds - but they don't produce the same warm sound, or have the same buttery feel as their original wound 'Reds.' To me, that coating is mostly cosmetic.)

But that's me... ;)

Giampy:

wraith808:

bit:
Chicane - Don't Give Up

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version