ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Recommend some music videos to me!

<< < (185/300) > >>

Vurbal:
^ That's one of the reasons I'm making sure my son gets a good foundation in Motown as he learns drums. Nobody ever made more music out of fewer notes than James Jamerson and Benny Benjamin.

40hz:
^ That's one of the reasons I'm making sure my son gets a good foundation in Motown as he learns drums. Nobody ever made more music out of fewer notes than James Jamerson and Benny Benjamin.
-Vurbal (January 21, 2015, 01:23 PM)
--- End quote ---

That's funny. I cut my teeth on Motown when I first started learning to play electric bass. To this day I still tend to leave a lot of space in my lines, frame things around a syncopated backbeat, and almost automatically toss in a little funk whenever I play something. A lot of that came from listening to Jamerson. He was one of my big inspirations. His part on Heard It Through the Grapevine was one of the first Motown songs I really analyzed well enough to actually understand what I was hearing. Awesome bass player! Along with Chuck Rainey, Duck Dunn, Bob Babbitt, Wilt Felder, Carol Kaye and all those other greats too numerous to list.

Vurbal:
The guys who first made me want to play bass were Paul McCartney, John Paul Jones, and Steve Harris, but Jamerson, Dunn, and Tommy Shannon taught me how to get there.

Okay, I can't really play any Steve Harris bass lines, but my fingers aren't built to glide across the strings like that. A guitarist friend of mine refers to them as hammers.

40hz:
^In my case, the chief inspirations in my formative years were: Paul McCartney, Jonathan Lodge, Andy Kulburg, Greg Lake, and Dave Paton. I'm pretty much UK inspired with the exception of Andy Kulberg. Hmm...roots in Motown but heavily influenced by that melodic UK vibe. No wonder I don't sound like anybody else according to people I've played with. I don't know what I am!!!! ;D

panzer:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version