ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Recommend some music videos to me!

<< < (150/300) > >>

Giampy:

A beautiful old song performing a funny sound at time 0:07...0:08:

40hz:
Just found this yesterday. Noel Paul Stookey (the "Paul" in Peter, Paul, and Mary) doing the PP&M take on an old Pete Seeger standard Kisses Sweeter than Wine. Lovely melody (via Lead Belly who took it from an old Irish tune called Drimmen Dow). It tells a bittersweet love story like all good folk tunes do. This performance is from the PP&M 25th Anniversary Concert recorded back in 1986.

You get to see a little bit of just how entertaining PP&M (and especially Paul) used to be back in the day as Paul leads the audience in a little sing-along. The results are amazing as the audience vocals gain an almost orchestral quality by the end of the song.

:Thmbsup:

Edvard:
^^ Classic, man, classic.  As much as I appreciate this song, I have to admit my favorite is the first version I ever heard.  Shimmy Disc label head and creative whirlwind Kramer, and performance artist Ann Magnuson in their band Bongwater.  It's got a cool 'aaaalmost creepy' vibe to it, and the bit of spoken word at the end gives it a neat little twist.  All other versions I've heard since this one sound a little too 'sweet' to my tastes, but... well... ignore the video and listen to the tune:

40hz:
Something for the guitarists out there.

Pat Metheny doing his version of Cherish, that big hit for a group called The Association back in the 60s.

This is an interesting arrangement performed on a baritone guitar using what Pat calls a "half-Nashville" tuning. Baritone guitars (for those who don't know) range an octave below a standard guitar. I like to think of them as the "cello" since their range falls between a bass and a standard guitar.

The most common tuning for a baritone is [B E A D F♯ B] or a perfect 4th below a standard guitar. Pat's half-Nashville tuning is a little more complex however. In that system the strings are tuned [A-E-c-g-D-A] which is a perfect 5th below a standard guitar - BUT - with the middle two strings (i.e the c and g) tuned up an octave.

The half-Nashville tuning allows for some very unusual tight and open chordal intervals that wouldn't be possible in ordinary tuning. The overall sound is huge and packs enough bottom end that you can send your bass player off on break when playing one of these puppies. In the  hands of a musician of Metheny's calibre it can sometimes sound like there are two players at work rather than one.

But enough jabber from me. Give it a listen:

:Thmbsup:

40hz:
Shimmy Disc label head and creative whirlwind Kramer, and performance artist Ann Magnuson in their band Bongwater.
-Edvard (July 01, 2014, 07:34 PM)
--- End quote ---

Wow! Bongwater and Ann Magnuson! Haven't thought about that group in ages.

I love that term 'performance artist.' Lori Anderson (who was also so labelled) famously answered the question "Exactly what is a performance artist?" by replying "That's what the New York Times calls you when they can't figure out just what it is you do."
 ;D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version