ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Recommend some music videos to me!

<< < (146/300) > >>

40hz:
See how he arches his wrist over the edge of the body?
-Vurbal (May 29, 2014, 06:20 AM)
--- End quote ---

That's actually (supposedly) the more "correct" way to to do it. You see a lot of jazzers play that way. Largely (i suspect) because that "perched and peeking" over the bout was Jaco

Recommend some music videos to me!  Recommend some music videos to me!

and Stanley Clark's thing back in the day. Lots of bassists who wanted to play like those two felt that hand position was the key to their unique sound. It wasn't. However, some flat out genius (in Jaco's case) - or in Stanley's case, a hell of a lot of study and practice combined with one of those gorgeous Alembic Series-I basses with active electronics -  might have had something to do with it.

Here's Stanley back in his Weather Report days with the scariest tarantula-like hand position imaginable (makes me think of the scene where Shelob was about to pounce on Frodo):

definitely creepy...although in later years he toned it down a lot. But he still kept that bend:

FWIW, that's a hand position I always found uncomfortable. I generally try to keep my wrist in a fairly straight line with my forearm. Far less worries about cramping or carpal tunnel when you do it that way.

On a string bass you need to arch your hand (and Stanley started on upright) because the strings are arced. On an electric with a fretboard radius between 7.25" and 9.5" you really shouldn't need to bend your wrist much if at all.

Either way, the "best practice" being taught by most bass instructors these last few years is to wear your electric bass up high and drape your hand over the bout. Can't say (having seriously tried it) that it brings much (if anything) to the party. But that's me. And don't even get me started on those effin' "bass ramps" that are all the rage.

And...I better stop here. I could (already did?) go on and on about this stuff. Apologies to all for rambling. :-[

Edvard:
BTW, Jody's guitar is a (Steve) Klein in case anybody's wondering "What in the name of all that's holy is he playing???" (Most guitarists do btw.  ;D)
 (see attachment in previous post)
Awesome! :tellme:
-40hz (May 29, 2014, 08:14 AM)
--- End quote ---

Aww, yeah!  The boilerplate design for years of ergonomic guitar designs.  I remember that short time in the late early 80s when some guitar makers experimented with ergonomics (remember fan frets?) just before the hair farmers and their ridiculously pointy guitars showed up and trashed the place... :Thmbsup:

My ideal ergonomic six-string mademoiselle would be the Klein's inspiration, the Ovation Breadwinner.
Recommend some music videos to me!* Edvard drools salaciously
I saw Roy Clark playing a VERY rare 12-string model of the BW's upscale cousin, the Deacon, on a video of his concert in Russia.  The dude was AMAZING!  He put his own spin on a Russian folk tune and in the process broke prolly 7 of the 12 strings but just pushed them out of the way and kept rippin'.  That was the first time I put "Roy Clark" and "awesome guitarist" in the same box, and it wasn't the last.

I couldn't find the Russian concert video on Youtube, but here's the man doing something else awesome:

40hz:
BTW, Jody's guitar is a (Steve) Klein in case anybody's wondering "What in the name of all that's holy is he playing???" (Most guitarists do btw.  ;D)
 (see attachment in previous post)
Awesome! :tellme:
-40hz (May 29, 2014, 08:14 AM)
--- End quote ---

Aww, yeah!  The boilerplate design for years of ergonomic guitar designs.  I remember that short time in the late early 80s when some guitar makers experimented with ergonomics (remember fan frets?) just before the hair farmers and their ridiculously pointy guitars showed up and trashed the place... :Thmbsup:

My ideal ergonomic six-string mademoiselle would be the Klein's inspiration, the Ovation Breadwinner. (see attachment in previous post)* Edvard drools salaciously-Edvard (May 30, 2014, 02:37 AM)
--- End quote ---

One of the guitarists in my old group owned it's cousin the Deacon. None of us were in love with the sound of the thing. (It was kinda harsh played through a SuperTwin Reverb.) And it wasn't any more comfortable or balanced than a Strat was. But what the heck - if you like it, go for it!

That said, having personally had a shot at playing both a Deacon and a Klein, the Deacon is to a Klein as KittyHawk is to an SR-71 Blackbird. No comparison in terms of design, construction, finish or materials.

(remember fan frets?
--- End quote ---

I do. Lowden, Beneteau, and Dingwall have all used them. Dingwall currently makes some unbelievably wonderful basses that use fanned frets. I tried one (the AR5) at a music show. It didn't seem to want effort to adapt to it. I was comfortable after about 5 minutes. I figure a week of real practice would have been all it would take to no longer notice the frets were fanned. On a 5-string it definitely improved the low B string's clarity and intonation without resorting to a 35" scale across all strings like most good sounding "5-vers" do. Lee Sklar agrees so I guess I wasn't imagining it.

re: Roy Clark: man was amazing. Totally amazing.

ok...back on topic...here's a great live pairing: Australian blues guitarist Fianna Boyes teamed up with Texas swing steel goddess Cindy Cashdolar performing Fiona's song I Got My Eye on You. I really love the melodic interaction between these two on this song. You can see why Ms. Cashdollar is one of the most respected and sought after sidemen in the business.

:Thmbsup:

Edvard:
One of the guitarists in my old group owned it's cousin the Deacon. None of us were in love with the sound of the thing. (It was kinda harsh played through a SuperTwin Reverb.) And it wasn't any more comfortable or balanced than a Strat was. But what the heck - if you like it, go for it!-40hz (May 30, 2014, 10:52 PM)
--- End quote ---

I had my eye on them since seeing ads from the '70s, then in '93 or so had the delicious golden opportunity to actually play one, and was immediately sold.  It felt solid and comfortable and played like no other guitar I'd ever tried.  The guitar store turned down my credit or else it'd be mine right now, as well as the Mesa Boogie Mark IIc twin I played it through.  Amps and guitars should be 'matched', IMO.  The only guitars I've ever gotten to sound "right" through a Fender were either a classic Telecaster or a semi-hollow body by Gretsch or Gibson.  Never gotten single coils to sound right through a Mesa of any stripe.  I know there will be lots of folks disagreeing, but they also forget that Sound (capital 'S') is always subjective.  ;)

That said, having personally had a shot at playing both a Deacon and a Klein, the Deacon is to a Klein as KittyHawk is to an SR-71 Blackbird. No comparison in terms of design, construction, finish or materials.

--- End quote ---

Well, my that is a bit harsh of a comparison, but then again, I've never played a Klein, so I'd never know.  Breadwinner/Deacon's were more of a mass-produced thing anyways, whereas the Klein seemed almost like a limited production art piece, so yeah... :-[

40hz:
Well, my that is a bit harsh of a comparison,
-Edvard (May 31, 2014, 02:16 PM)
--- End quote ---

Wasn't meant to be harsh. More like me saying it's nice to know that spending a ridiculous amount of money for a built to order guitar like the Klein actually got you something. Whether it was actually worth it is something the potential buyer would need to decide. I personally don't think you'd need to spend anywhere near what a Klein goes for if you're just shopping for superior sound or playability. There are plenty of far less expensive mass produced guitars and basses that will fit the bill. You'll just have to audition several before you find your ideal match.

FWIW I never spent more than $1200 (and that $1200 was only once) for any instrument I've ever owned - although a few in the collection are now supposedly worth considerably more than what I originally paid. I don't really get why. They're the same instrument they were the day I bought them. Just older and a little more shop worn. Like me! ;D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version