ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Recommend some music videos to me!

<< < (123/300) > >>

40hz:
My GF found this one in [in a  write-up over at a rather odd (to my mind) site. Link here.

One other fascinating laboratory that studies plant vibrational energies is Damanhur, an intentional community in Italy. In this peaceful and spiritual ecovillage there is a laboratory in the woods that offers a beautiful choir of singing trees. Yeah, you read that right... singing trees. Since 1976, researchers at Damanhur have invented and developed equipment that can capture electromagnetic changes on the surface of leaves and roots, transforming them into actual sounds. The best part is, these trees seem to control their electrical responses via a feedback mechanism, and demonstrate a kind of awareness and preference for types of music. The singing plants and trees of Damanhur have sparked off such a worldwide fascination that the people began organizing “Plant Concerts”, where musicians perform to the music created by the trees.

Watch this 15-minute video of a beautiful demonstration singing plants while one of Damanhur’s researchers explain the phenomenon.
--- End quote ---

From what I've seen, I can't 100% buy into the conclusions these folks are reaching since I've heard many other musical sequences generated by natural phenomena or random processes that the human mind tends to interpret as conscious musical composition.  (ex: see Charles Dodge's album Earth's Magnetic Field (1970) for one well known example.)

That said, the music is quite beautiful regardless of whether the claims of "plant consciousness" being made in the video are scientifically valid or not. Give it a listen and see what you think:

tomos:
great mix here lately :up:

@TaoPhoenix my favourite older Bee Gees track is the very schmalzy "To Love Somebody"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykU8iSKkJR0

@40hz, do you remember that book 'Supernature' - it claimed plants responded to people just *thinking* about cutting the plant. No idea if true. Would be interesting to see the same experiment (as in the video!) tried with humans or other animals.

Finally,
I came across this video by serendipity - the way the keys are shown seems to tie in with my last two days work, trying to display information *meaningfully* in bar charts. Music takes a moment to start:

variation here (non-fading bars)

he's got a whole bunch more of very interesting visual "presentations" of music.

40hz:

@40hz, do you remember that book 'Supernature' - it claimed plants responded to people just *thinking* about cutting the plant. No idea if true. Would be interesting to see the same experiment (as in the video!) tried with humans or other animals.

-tomos (September 05, 2013, 06:09 AM)
--- End quote ---

@tomos - indeed I do remember that book. I had several friends who were big Lyall Watson fans. They were also into the whole Findhorn community thing plus some other stuff I've since forgotten about. Their current fav is What the Bleep do We know? video - which they believe lock stock and barrel.

I'm not disputing there may well be plant 'intelligence.' But I also think:

(a) it hasn't been conclusively 'proven' one way or another

(b) a lot of what is ultimately 'proven' will depend on what you accept as 'intelligence.'

I'd personally like it to be true. But not so much that I'm willing to accept it on faith as most people I hear advocating for it do.

Just because something "seems to be" doesn't mean it is. Same goes for "looks like" or "is virtually identical to" or "behaves in much the same manner as."

From what I can gather, their devices are measuring changes in galvanic response which are then converted to midi data and passed to a very nice synth module. It's a pretty big leap going from that to calling it "communicating" in my book. But maybe that's just me. :mrgreen:

Truth is, whenever you're using one of those 'celestial' sounding 'pad' patches, it's going to sound pretty good. You can turn a two year old kid loose on one of those settings (I have btw) and what comes out will sound very musical in most cases.
 ;)

40hz:
From Saturday Night Live - choreographer Toni Basil's absolutely brilliant interpretation of Swan Lake - with assistance from The Lockers. :Thmbsup:

8)

wraith808:
Saruman makes heavy metal music.  Your argument is invalid.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version