ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Recommend some music videos to me!

<< < (227/300) > >>

MilesAhead:
Brecker Brothers - Out of the Loop

40hz:
Interesting Israeli band by the name of Project RnL. Sounds like early prog rock meets Frank Zappa - when Frank's not being a jerk. Refreshingly different from most of what's out there. Frighteningly technical bass player (Or Lubianiker rockin' his Mayones bass) in their lineup if nothing else. (Lordy Lordy!)

Too soon to tell if I really like them yet. Exceptionally polished, as any good prog rock ensemble should be. But as of right now, I can't decide if they're as musically clever as they seem - or merely contrived. But I'm gonna keep an eye on them for sure.

40hz:
Caroline Lavelle (previously mentioned in this thread) from the end credits of the movie Joy Ride which I rewatched a couple of weeks ago (static video).
-4wd (November 11, 2015, 05:50 AM)
--- End quote ---

Ah! The lovely (in every way) Ms. LaVelle. My favorite elf-maiden. I always liked her best when performing with Loreena McKennitt. Loreena always seemed to keep things in check and prevent things from spilling over into the usual New Age excesses.

Speaking of which...I posted this vid in another thread for totally different reasons. But this short (56 or so mins)  docu-film on Loreena McKennitt is interesting enough from a purely musical perspective that I think it may not be inappropriate to post it here as well. There's some stellar performance pieces in it. Hardly surprising considering the musicians she records and tours with are all world class, as Ms McKennitt herself is.

40hz:
**<duplicate post - please delete>

Edvard:
Interesting Israeli band by the name of Project RnL.
-40hz (November 19, 2015, 03:28 PM)
--- End quote ---

Very nice.  I'm not big on prog-rock (Rush, Yes, and ELO just about encompass all I care about the genre, to be honest) but this was enjoyable.  The keyboard guy obviously enjoys his role very much, and has the chops to back it up.  The only thing that bugged me was though the vocalist was very good, I kept getting the feeling that he was 'holding back'... that there's much more power to his voice than he lets through, as though he doesn't want to overpower the other musicians, when in fact a little more chutzpah with the pipes would have fit right in.  Just my 0.02, bravos all 'round otherwise.

Speaking of keyboards, it seems that most groups in my chosen favorite genre (metal) have relegated the keyboard to special effects, washy intros, or gated into offshoot genres like 'Prog-metal' or 'Industrial'.  It would be refreshing to see a rippin' ivory tickler up there with the buzz and rumble.
So far, I haven't seen much of that, so here's my favorite blast from the past:

I hated it when my friends would say they sounded like Deep Purple, though I admit it's kinda inevitable given the sound they were after (and they even riffed the theme on the slipcover of one of their albums, reprinting magazine article headlines comparing the two).  I've always preferred the Heep for some reason, though I couldn't put my finger on exactly why; I just liked 'em. 
Their first five albums are classics in my mind, the rest going from 'slow clap while rocking out' to 'escuse me, wut r u doin?' territory, so I can't recommend much beyond that.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version