ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Gmail: Looking for a desktop version

<< < (2/3) > >>

city_zen:
Personally, I can't think of something more annoying than not being able to read your email offline.  Assuming you always have an internet connection to access your old emails is just plain silly.
-4wd (December 01, 2008, 09:47 PM)
--- End quote ---

I agree 100%

wreckedcarzz, as 4wd said, you can keep using the same POP3 system with GMail if you want to. No need to change anything and you can keep using the same email app. See: GMail Help - Enabling POP for instructions
Essentially it's:
1) Enable POP3 in your GMail account
2) Set up your email program to use GMail as POP and SMTP server
3) Enjoy!  :D

wreckedcarzz:
I was kind of hoping Google would have their own client (I like my Shiny theme :P), but I'm more than happy to use Thunderbird for it - I'm getting tired of using Windows Live Mail anyways. Should have stayed with TB in the first place.

Shades:
Deozaan and all the others are right, just use your normal email client software, but configure it to use the Gmail servers (POP3 & SMTP) so you put your ISP's mail server 'out of business'.

Sorry for shooting under your wing, wreckedcarzz...but can anybody explain me how it is possible that POP3 messages from Gmail are not downloaded by Thunderbird (version 2.x+)?

Logging in using my TB goes ok, Gmail also responds by showing me the amount of new messages in its balloon and I know that my configuration is set to download messages. It even initializes the connection for the download to commence and but it never finishes downloading the first message.

Already tried starting with an completely empty gmail inbox and putting in a new message using one other mail account, but the same thing keeps happening.

Other mail clients can retrieve the messages from there, but I don't want to use anything else than TB.
<rant>
Do not mention Outlook in any incarnation as an alternative, because it is something to despise. How anyone can work efficiently with that software is beyond me. Communicating with the MAPI/CAPI implementation from Outlook (mail and crypto) is just as painful as dropping a 3-pound hammer on the same little toe...five times in a row!). The amount of misinformation that is fed to you at MSDN is unbelievable. Those guys should start a spy school or something.

What I think is that the developers of Outlook are not allowed to use C++, but that company policy dictates the use of Voodoo++
</rant>

wreckedcarzz:
Actually I have Thunderbird (Portable Edition, via PortableApps.com) downloading my Gmail now via POP3 - no issues. You enabled POP3 for all messages and disabled IMAP, right?

SKA:
Maybe offtopic but a new "gmail on desktop" gadget released a day ago :

http://desktop.google.com/plugins/i/gmailgadget.html

SKA

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version