ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Can someone help with my understanding of TOR (The Onion Router)?

(1/3) > >>

davejusrox:
Hi there all, i am a newbie on this forum. Can someone help me with this question please, if they know the answer? Thanks

When someone has TOR enabled (green "TOR Enabled" in the corner of the screen and combine that with Privoxy running in the background) does an IP address only appear anonymous on a browser level (for surfing the net) or does it anonymise your IP address on an application/software level too (such as using Roxio, WMP, MS Office, Bit Torrent Apps etc)

I log onto website www.cmyip.com and it does come up with an alternative one to the one my computer was given statically but i just wanted to know whether when TOR is enabled, it works for applications or just web surfing activity?

I would never use such an anonymiser for an application such as Bit Torrent because i heard how its considered bad form to use and hog the bandwidth of TOR in this way. My main enquiry is into asking whether regardless of all this, applications being used are anonymised just as much as browser internet pages

Thanks so much

D
UK

f0dder:
Only works with software that is able to connect using proxy - which rules out things like bittorrent.

Theoretically I guess it would be possible writing a network card driver that would make it possible to route all traffic through TOR, but it would be a nontrivial task, and it's not how the system currently works.

Lashiec:
Errr, actually several torrent clients allow connections using proxies, including BitTorrent as it's based on µTorrent (unless they stripped such feature).

I guess that for those programs not allowing connections through proxies you could use Torcap.

city_zen:
Great info, Lashiec!  :Thmbsup: I didn't know about Torcap

As for µTorrent supporting connection through proxies, apparently it (still) has that feature. From their website:

Does µTorrent support proxies?
Yes. Open the options and go to Connection. It supports SOCKS4, SOCKS5, HTTP Connect, and HTTP proxies. Peer communication proxying is supported with SOCKS4, SOCKS5, and HTTP Connect. HTTP Connect is HTTP proxies that allow arbitrary TCP connections. Not all do, which is why it's a separate item in the list.

--- End quote ---

f0dder:
Lashiec: isn't the proxy support only for the tracker HTTP connection, though? Or does it work for the p2p connections as well? (If it does, I've severely misunderstood things :-[).

Thanks for the Torcap link, didn't know about it :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version