ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Collectorz.com... again!

<< < (14/24) > >>

cranioscopical:
One of the things I like is the innovative idea (currently in beta form) to use barcodes with a webcam - so ultimately it may allow you to simply wave the barcode at your webcam. Now that would be brilliant.
-Carol
--- End quote ---
:tellme: Judging by the number of times the supermarket cashier has to drag the same can of Heinz Beans across the scanner before it registers its presence that day may be a long time coming. It is an appealing idea though.

Darwin:
Using software to catalogue my collections means I can add a location code to find things quickly.
-Carol Haynes (March 24, 2009, 05:15 AM)
--- End quote ---

Now there's an idea I hadn't thought of, and a use for cataloguing software that hadn't occurred to me... Sadly, however, I'd have to change my habits to make this work for me - I tend to grab a book, get the information I need and then put it down. Weeks later I'll go into a cleaning frenzy and file a stack of books whereever there is space. Thus, cataloguing them and noting location would be futille for me as things stand  :o :-[

Darwin:
Incidentally, the quote from Alwin about Collectorz going to a subscription based model that Josh mentions is:

As I said earlier: This is simply not true. You are NOT paying for a service. You paid a one time fee to buy our software. The service we provide has always been free.
Which is crazy, I know. And which is why for our online cataloging SERVICE, we will move to a subscription model, that is, a monthly or yearly fee.
--- End quote ---

Carol Haynes:
Using software to catalogue my collections means I can add a location code to find things quickly.
-Carol Haynes (March 24, 2009, 05:15 AM)
--- End quote ---

Now there's an idea I hadn't thought of, and a use for cataloguing software that hadn't occurred to me... Sadly, however, I'd have to change my habits to make this work for me - I tend to grab a book, get the information I need and then put it down. Weeks later I'll go into a cleaning frenzy and file a stack of books whereever there is space. Thus, cataloguing them and noting location would be futille for me as things stand  :o :-[
-Darwin (March 24, 2009, 11:09 AM)
--- End quote ---

Easy add a small sticky to each item to give the correct location to put it back. That way you aren't wasting time looking for a shelf (or in my case boxes and piles too) with space on it either.

Incidentally, the quote from Alwin about Collectorz going to a subscription based model that Josh mentions is:

As I said earlier: This is simply not true. You are NOT paying for a service. You paid a one time fee to buy our software. The service we provide has always been free.
Which is crazy, I know. And which is why for our online cataloging SERVICE, we will move to a subscription model, that is, a monthly or yearly fee.
--- End quote ---
-Darwin (March 24, 2009, 11:12 AM)
--- End quote ---

It also looks like a neat sidestep around the promise of life time licenses for people who purchased during that period (even thoygh he promised life time licenses would be honoured).

Josh:
That was my thought. I am completely ditching collectorz for this. That is a backstab for the many years I supported their software. I would have gladly paid for another license rather than have to pay to use their database which I HELPED POPULATE!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version