ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Collectorz.com... again!

<< < (16/24) > >>

Carol Haynes:
That was in the email he sent to all registered users.

Josh:
Hi all,

I know some of you don't like version 6, especially the removal of IMDb. I have allowed you guys to voice your opinion here on the forum for a month now. And I have done my best to respond to it, being as open and honest as possible, trying to explain our reasons.

But now it is time to move on.

You may not accept it (or even believe it), but version 6 is a major success. Thousand of existing customers have upgraded and sales from new users are way up. And they're absolutely loving it.

The hard cold fact is: we will not change it back. This is the way Movie Collector will move forward.

So let's stop repeating the same arguments over and over again and move on to a more constructive discussion. And with that, I mean *any* feedback on the Collectorz.com movie database.

You may yell, you may say it sucks, as long as you tell me *why* it sucks.

Let us know *which* movies you were not able to find, which barcodes are not recognized, which data you are missing. Tell us about errors, incorrect data, wrong images, anything.

This help us fix problems, it will let us know what to work on, what the problem areas are.

Even better, if you find missing movies, *submit* them to us. You don't have to enter all data manually and scan the cover images (but of course you are welcome to).
If you could only submit a "skeleton" entry with just the movie title and the IMDb number, your submission will at least let us know which ones are missing. Other users can then download that entry, add to it...

If we all work together on this, maybe we can bring the Collectorz.com movie database to a state where it *is* usable for you, so that you can all upgrade to the latest and greatest version of the program you love (or at least *loved*) so much.

Thank you!

Alwin

--- End quote ---

Latest post from Alwin.

Carol Haynes:
If we all work together on this, maybe we can bring the Collectorz.com movie database to a state where it *is* usable for you, so that you can all upgrade to the latest and greatest version of the program you love (or at least *loved*) so much.
-Josh (March 26, 2009, 07:03 PM)
--- End quote ---

So now we admit it doesn't work so just cough up the money for an upgrade, stop moaning and get on with the work of building our database for us. Of course having built our new database, entered lots of information, scanned and uploaded images galore in a few months we will charge you to use it.

And they say slavery is dead!

legless:
P.S... URGENT NOTICE: While Movie Collector is the fastest, most powerful
version we've ever made, it does not fit the cataloging methods or
collection styles of all of our customers. If you have an collection of
older films, mostly adult movies, or MUST have data from sources like IMDb,
this upgrade is NOT FOR YOU. I repeat, if you fit into one of these
categories, then you are most likely not going to be happy with Movie
Collector 6.1.

Why?

Because in order to make our software easier, searches faster, and move
toward things like an online version and iPhone apps, we had to bring all
the search data into our in-house database. The Collectorz.com database has
over 100,000 movies, with almost 150,000 barcodes... and it continues to
grow, get faster, and be more complete everyday. But it still does not
have very many older or more obscure movies.

Again, with Movie Collector 6.1 you will NOT be able to access info from
IMDb, DVD Empire or ANY OTHER external source. Wondering if your movies
are in the new version?
Give v6.1 a test drive with the trial version and see.

Of course, you can continue to use Movie Collector 5 indefinitely, but
coming December 31, we will no longer support this version. Already all
development and upgrades have stopped on this out-dated version. I hope
you'll join us as we move forward, but understand if you can't.
--- End quote ---

From alwin and posted to this thread.

I have also attached the topic zipped in case he deletes it.-Josh (March 25, 2009, 05:13 PM)
--- End quote ---

I used an older version of Movie Collector from Collectorz.com and quite liked it. The ability to get quite full information from various stores and online databases was a big plus for me as I have DVDs from all over the place not just my home region. I switched to DVDProfiler for a while as one of my friends uses it and I wanted to have my database compatible with his. I ended changing back to Movie COllector and DVDProfiler just plain lacked some things I liked. Though the new look of Movie COllector is not winning me either.

I bought version 6 and now find that I am going to have pay out extra money to access his database as there are no longer options to get info anywhere else. This change alone is making me tend towards ditching the product completely now and cutting my losses. Why should we be paying for something that was supposed to come included in the buy price of the software. OK maintaining this large database will cost time and money but it was his choice to do that so why did he fix what wasn't broken? Money? But remember this is basically a user contributed database in the first place as well using the time and effort of loyal users to create it. He's acting like it's all his work. It would be nothing without the users including me.

They tout the ability to scan barcodes into the database to add movies but half of mine are not in his "huge" 150,000 barcode database. Most of my DVDs are region 4. Even a quick random scan of 12 DVDs' barcodes failed to find all but 4 of them at all. Originally this info was sourced from Australian DVD sources (no longer possible). His answer is "tell us about the ones it can't find in the database". Oh yeah right. I'd be here all day. Some of my DVDs are versions that are no longer available or have different cover art or features so have a different code from the standard ones.

It's looking doubtful I'll be continuing with what used to be a great product. As for the note from Alwin to "not upgrade to the latest if you still want feature X" comes too late for me as my databases have been converted.

Ah progress. Yeah right! True you can't please everyone but he's now pleasing fewer and fewer of us with these changes.

legless:
That was in the email he sent to all registered users.
-Carol Haynes (March 25, 2009, 05:49 PM)
--- End quote ---

He did?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version