ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Collectorz.com... again!

<< < (15/24) > >>

superboyac:
I hope another application comes along that can do what MP3 Collectorz does.  Librarian Pro may be okay for now, but from first glance, it still isn't quite as hard-core of an application as mp3 collector was/is.  maybe I should look at it a little bit more.

it's a shame that the two best applications for mp3 organization are dying (I made a thread on this earlier).  MP3Rat is gone, and Mp3 collector is slowly PO'ing everyone.  All the other apps are not nearly as good from what I've seen.  It's because everyone is using whatever default cataloging system comes with their preferred jukebox software...itunes, winamp, etc.  I'm not bashing them, they work fine and are obviously satisfying their users.  But there's something so beautiful about a dedicated program for mp3 cataloging...like, it's specifically built for doing that exactly and it does it really, exceptionally well.  But only a handful of us appreciate it, i suppose.  Darn.

TucknDar:
Some more threads have mysteriously vanished from the Collectorz board :-\

I'm starting the conversion to eXtreme Movie Manager. While not the most beautiful app out there, it's got tons of features, uses a number of scripts (more can be added by users) to import data, is actively developed by an author who seems genuinely interested in his customers. The program only costs $10 btw! Data exported from Movie Collector to XML can be imported (images as well!) so the change didn't take long, but there's a fair bit of updating needed. Best alternative I've found!

Only 10$ , unlimited updats included!
--- End quote ---
(sic) ;)

CWuestefeld:
It also looks like a neat sidestep around the promise of life time licenses for people who purchased during that period (even thoygh he promised life time licenses would be honoured).
-Carol Haynes (March 24, 2009, 01:45 PM)
--- End quote ---

I'd say it's unethical because even today, when they've admitted that they plan to charge for the service, they are requiring people to PAY for software with an (implicit) promise of a free service for their one-time expenditure.

It's one thing to change their business model. I have a lifetime license, so I wouldn't like it. But I think they're free to launch a NEW product that is subscription-based.

But now it looks like they're trying to suck as many people in as possible in a way that makes them dependent on the service, and then switch models in midstream, getting the poor consumers coming and going. And this is why Alwin thinks that he'll be prospering: he's got a tidy little plan for shaking down his customers when they can't do anything about it.

I've got a lifetime subscription to Movies and Books from them. But they'll be going into the trash.

Carol Haynes:
Some more threads have mysteriously vanished from the Collectorz board :-\

I'm starting the conversion to eXtreme Movie Manager. While not the most beautiful app out there, it's got tons of features, uses a number of scripts (more can be added by users) to import data, is actively developed by an author who seems genuinely interested in his customers. The program only costs $10 btw! Data exported from Movie Collector to XML can be imported (images as well!) so the change didn't take long, but there's a fair bit of updating needed. Best alternative I've found!

Only 10$ , unlimited updats included!
--- End quote ---
(sic) ;)
-TucknDar (March 24, 2009, 04:41 PM)
--- End quote ---

I have just downloaded XMM to have a look-see but I find it a bit worrying on their download page that there is a link about Vista compatibility. It says you need to run in in XP SP2 compatibility mode and with administrator privileges. Given that Vista has been out for quite a while now and XP (at least from a commercial perspective) is dead it is worrying that the latest release (on 23rd March) is still only really an XP application. Stating that it is fully Vista compatible seems to miss the point if you have to use XP/admin tweaks to get it to run properly ???

Josh:
P.S... URGENT NOTICE: While Movie Collector is the fastest, most powerful
version we've ever made, it does not fit the cataloging methods or
collection styles of all of our customers. If you have an collection of
older films, mostly adult movies, or MUST have data from sources like IMDb,
this upgrade is NOT FOR YOU. I repeat, if you fit into one of these
categories, then you are most likely not going to be happy with Movie
Collector 6.1.

Why?

Because in order to make our software easier, searches faster, and move
toward things like an online version and iPhone apps, we had to bring all
the search data into our in-house database. The Collectorz.com database has
over 100,000 movies, with almost 150,000 barcodes... and it continues to
grow, get faster, and be more complete everyday. But it still does not
have very many older or more obscure movies.

Again, with Movie Collector 6.1 you will NOT be able to access info from
IMDb, DVD Empire or ANY OTHER external source. Wondering if your movies
are in the new version?
Give v6.1 a test drive with the trial version and see.

Of course, you can continue to use Movie Collector 5 indefinitely, but
coming December 31, we will no longer support this version. Already all
development and upgrades have stopped on this out-dated version. I hope
you'll join us as we move forward, but understand if you can't.
--- End quote ---

From alwin and posted to this thread.

I have also attached the topic zipped in case he deletes it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version