ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Simple free commandline text search and replace tool?

<< < (2/4) > >>

Veign:
There are some things I need to get working better.  If you watch the status bar you will see how fast it searches (in memory) but how slow it is at generating the report display (especially the detailed report).  Writing to any kind of display memory is slow and I need to virtualize the display where its only loading into the display memory what is actually being shown to the user and not the full report.

Also, the right click on the detailed report will only work properly if the files are in the same folder.  There is no mechanism to use the Explorer right click menu when files span different folders - at least that I know of.

Oh and the Help file is not that good - I hate writing help files...

gexecuter:
Fart only has a command line interface so you should check it out. I haven't tried it yet because i am pretty bad with command line interfaces and i am afraid i might screw something up  :(

rjbull:
MiniTrue, A. Pipkin's "Ministry of Truth" (MT) utility.  On NO ACCOUNT overlook Eric Pement's third-party comments on it.  Go to his SED page and page down until you get to Console/command-line apps.  Direct link to his extra document here.  You need to know about its misbehaviours and workarounds.  I use it successfully under XP, but only with short file names.

f0dder:
rjbull: Eek, using 16bit dos executables under win32? Why haven't you searched for a replacement tool? :)

rjbull:
rjbull: Eek, using 16bit dos executables under win32? Why haven't you searched for a replacement tool? :)
-f0dder (December 01, 2008, 04:48 AM)
--- End quote ---

It's free, and, for my use, it works.  "My use" is mostly dealing with files made by DOS editors, and I use those because I'm familiar with them and because they're WordStar-style.  Also it's surprisingly hard to find a free Windows editor that does automatic *.BAK back-ups and has bookmarks.

I do have a Win32 search-and-replace tool now - HFFR Text WorkBench.  Just checked the Help file, and as well as GUI it has command-line support, though I've not had cause to use it yet.  Does Unicode, too.

[Edit]  Oops, just remembered this is about "free" apps.  HFFR Text WorkBench is payware.  You can still find the last free version, but I don't think it accepts command line arguments and it only does a single search-and-replace pair.  That was another of the advantages of MiniTrue, many pairs.
[/Edit]

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version