ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Is XP really that good?

<< < (8/10) > >>

tslim:
Hi,

I still have a Pentium 3 machine runs DOS VER6.0
I normally use it to play old games like Dig Dug, Road Runner, Roller and the brush.. etc :-*

On the Pentium 3, Dos 6 boot-up 100 times faster than XP on my QuadCore machine. :Thmbsup:
Dos 6 main screen is 100 time cleaner than my XP desktop (it only has a C prompt) :P
Those old games boot-up 100 times faster than Civ4 or any recent games in XP :up:

Dos 6 does not has a registry so it never has registry corruption problem like XP :D
and ...
with DOS 6, I have never used more than 1 Mb ram to run any program... :-[

I think DOS 6 is the best O/S, better than XP 8)
and...
I have no experience at all in Linux, so I am not quite sure about DOS6 VS LINUX, but I suppose DOS 6 is also better than Linux. :D

zridling:
This just in: Dell is charging $150 to downgrade to XP!

"Essentially how it works is the customer prepays for an upgrade to Vista Ultimate in exchange for a preinstalled copy of Windows XP Professional."

Dell, you suck.

app103:
This just in: Dell is charging $150 to downgrade to XP!

"Essentially how it works is the customer prepays for an upgrade to Vista Ultimate in exchange for a preinstalled copy of Windows XP Professional."

Dell, you suck.
-zridling (December 05, 2008, 08:56 PM)
--- End quote ---

Dell is giving XP away for free right now, with Vista Business. You just have to know where to look. Stay away from the home user stuff and head to the small business section of the site and customize your machine. You won't get a crapware bundle, either. Just look for that word "FREE".  ;)

http://www.dell.com/business/desktops#subcats=vostrodt&navla=&a=80770~0~1791344&page=1

f0dder:
tslim: registry corruption? in all my years of XP (and before that, win2k) I have never ever experienced that, neither on my own machine nor any I have been supervising. Neither during normal use, nor after BSODs (including some pretty nasty ones during driver development on test machines). Care to elaborate?

As for old games booting faster than new ones, sure - old games didn't have to load a gigabyte of 3D models and texture data :P. New games sure do look prettier... gameplay isn't always better, though.

tslim:
As for old games booting faster than new ones, sure - old games didn't have to load a gigabyte of 3D models and texture data :P. -f0dder (December 05, 2008, 10:21 PM)
--- End quote ---

So as the case for DOS main screen is cleaner than XP desktop, because it simply does not have Startup Menu, Recycle Bin and Shortcuts with icon. It only has a C prompt.

In fact for all I have listed, those are, IMO, WRONG factors to be taken into account when trying to compare 2 different O/S. Simply put, they are merely personal concerns, not universal factors in O/S comparison.

One might like a wonder woman who helps her boy friend in every aspect of life though sometime she can cause problems, the others might prefer a slim, innocent girl whom he needs to give help in every aspect of life and she never cause problem because she herself is the problem...
I can list a thousand reasons why my girl friend is better than yours, yet I am sure you won't agree with me. I think computer O/S is something hard to evaluate, it is as complicated as girl friend...

BTW, me too have never come across registry corruption for years, except when a virus/trojan writes something to registry in my friend's PC (if that is considered corruption)...

... and to be frank, as of this writing, I love XP the most! :P

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version