ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Why Windows Rules: the QWERTY phenomenon?

<< < (3/15) > >>

f0dder:
But "better" has to have quantitative benefits.  Just because the kernel is way cooler or open source or from anyplace but Redmond shouldn't (and doesn't) matter.  -Ralf Maximus (November 27, 2008, 07:00 AM)
--- End quote ---
Thing is, it isn't. It's not the POS it used to be, but it's still inferior to the NT kernel :)

Ralf Maximus:
And therefor, because you have settled this issue in your own mind (and to your own complete satisfaction) this discussion is a waste of everyone else's time too?

--- End quote ---

If you'd like to discuss something, why not the original point of my first response?

You seem to have fixated on the last line of the thing, and ignored the first five paragraphs.

But "better" has to have quantitative benefits.  Just because the kernel is way cooler or open source or from anyplace but Redmond shouldn't (and doesn't) matter.  -Ralf Maximus (November 27, 2008, 07:00 AM)
--- End quote ---
Thing is, it isn't. It's not the POS it used to be, but it's still inferior to the NT kernel :)
-f0dder (November 27, 2008, 11:18 AM)
--- End quote ---

I was visualizing the Linux kernal as I wrote that.

Also, nowhere did I say Windows was better than other stuff, or even acceptable, or even total crap.  It's just *Windows*.

I've missed you, f0dder.

tomos:
Note that until FireFox came along, 99% of Windows users never even considered departing IE.
-Ralf Maximus (November 27, 2008, 07:00 AM)
--- End quote ---

that's an interesting point there - I think there was a lot better than IE there before FF (but I dont honestly know - was there!?)
Opera's always (well, for a long time anyways) been much better but very few people have taken up on it

I think FF is doing really well cause the people working on it had a vision/(business-)plan in this direction - and they worked hard to implement it. Opera had a different vision

I guess I'm saying windows will be replaced when someone makes a huge effort to do so (with lots of financial backing I guess)
I'm not well informed about these things so could well be incorrect ;)

BTW hi Ralph, welcome back!

Paul Keith:
Note that until FireFox came along, 99% of Windows users never even considered departing IE.
--- End quote ---

I disagree. This is just history revisioning. Even casual techies know that many were still craving for Netscape but it just kept bloating up and being buggy.

Internet Explorer did a Google Chrome, add a monopolistic comes pre-installed with a popular OS and with the right marketing it captured the majority of most people's interest.

If you like to play predictions, you could even say the latest version of Netscape is at the current point where most user friendly Linux distros are today. Featureful but bloated and still often times containing the occassional deadly bug for casual users who don't know how to troubleshoot.

Opera then was Adware and like the early Apple OS's, superior but never considered as a viable alternative. Macs today are highly popular in their niches. The same phase could be said for where Opera is going. Desktop market share wise, they're lingering at the bottom but like Macs, they're focusing to the future. Where Apple eventually focused more on laptops and portables, Opera is gaining new grounds with their browsers being on Wiis, cellphones, handhelds, PDA, etc. Of course it can be said that the company is still missing a Steve Jobs but how notable was the name Steve Jobs then to the mainstream tech crowd?

So to give Firefox credit for all their success like they came out of nowhere is a blatant disregard for all the circumstances that led them here. Remember before Firefox, the main reason why Firebird gained notoriety was it was finally Netscape that got what IE had going for while retaining most of it's features through add-ons while doing the right marketing.

This is pretty much the same pattern the Linux Distro worlds are going through right now. As Windows 7 and Leopard constantly add buggy or irrelevant eye candy, Linux developers are forging the "light on resources" ahead by stabilizing Wubi, improving MintInstall, finally auto-adding a separate user partition, taking advantage of the maturity of cloud technology to sidestep vendor lock ins.

All these while patiently riding under the upcoming bloatware and as the community grows, it could potentially do what Firefox eventually evolved from: A less lightweight Firebird that changed it's mascot and took advantage of the growing dissent and lack of true useful innovation from the competitors.

I guarantee you that had Firefox started like Firefox 2.0 or Firefox 3.0, it won't gather half the marketshare and half the add-on developers like it has now to leverage it's uninnovative architecture and 99% of those using Windows won't be considering switching from IE especially because if the Firebird product had just been delayed a little bit further, the popularity of IE shells would rise and everyone would instead be saying "Why do I need to switch from Firefox if Maxthon can do this anyway?" except for the few open source zealots.

zridling:
[Ralf M.]: Windows is installed on zillions of workstations.  Why?  Because it's always been that way.  When will it change?  When something tremendously better compels us to switch.  Until then, analyzing why everyone runs Windows when "better" operating systems exist seems like wankery.
--- End quote ---

Perhaps you misunderstood David Williams, Ralf? Maybe not, but he's saying that since [most] everyone uses Windows, unless you have a compelling reason for an alternative to it, then you'll never consider your options. I only used the QWERTY phenomenon as an example of similar historical precedent. Tried buying a retail computer in 2008 without having to pay for a pre-installed copy of Windows on it? You damn sure nearly can't, unless you have the sleuthing skills to find Dell's Linux pages or you just start waving $100 dollar bills in the air toward an Apple product. If Windows works for you, then the explanation fits. You're happy. Microsoft is happy. Story ends.

Forget computers or OSes. Water the analogy down and apply it to anything else in your life -- favorite brand of shoes, toothpaste, power tools, auto, even your preferred soft drink.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version