ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Acronis total dirt OS selector - kills hard drives!

<< < (4/6) > >>

zridling:
[nudone]: so, just an innocent bit of messing about has wiped an entire drive - one that the Acronis rubbish shouldn't have touched anyway - there weren't any operating systems on it.
--- End quote ---

As tsaint and 4wd note, this is not exclusive to Windows users. I've unintentionally formatted 2nd drives with some Linux distros during setup. Even with advanced settings and telling it to leave the other drive alone, there are still a few that will confound you with a mere OK button rather than checkboxes. If you're really scared, just unplug the 2nd drive and remount it after installation.

Carol Haynes:
The lesson I learned the hard way a long time ago is if you are going to do something that messes with partition tables backup your drives first!!

I learned the lesson but I don't always live by it and guess when things go wrong ....

nudone:
f0dder, i shall have to invest in this GetDataBack thingy - because i know it's going to be required at some point. i think i've mentioned Davory in the past - it worked for me several years back when every other recovery software failed. how well Davory works by today's standards i don't know (at the time, i was alarmed that there could be such a difference between detection software).

i didn't have any dynamic disks (though i did convert one about a month ago - not the one that was killed).

i didn't mention when the drives partition was really removed. it happend when the Acronis loader was installed - not actually when i disabled it. i noticed one of my drives had gone immediately, but i first assumed it was just a small partition - the 3rd and last one on my raid drive - i wasn't concerned as i thought it was merely hidden by the loader.

rather than waffle on, it seems like what happened is just the same as the Linux install problems. the menu selections you make when installing these drive tamporing things can't be trusted.

in the past i would have done what zaine said and unplug the other drives. i'd just become over confident by how well everything else had worked with the GAG loader, etc.

40hz:
Can't really think of a good reason why your disk would be nuked, though... sounds weird. Btw, never do "in place" recovery if you can avoid it, the best solution is always to restore files to another partition. The best recovery software I've found so far has been GetDataBack. It's slow, but it's been able to recovery pretty well.

-f0dder (November 25, 2008, 04:46 PM)
--- End quote ---
If it helps, I can thoroughly recommend GetDataBack (NTFS/FAT).

It recovered all files off of a 320GB HDD in about 2 hours after a format in which the single partition on the HDD was described as "unrecognised filesystem" by the system, ie. all the partition info had disappeared.
-4wd (November 25, 2008, 04:48 PM)
--- End quote ---

GetDataBack is an excellent utility. Highly recommended. FWIW: I've also had equally good luck with EASUS's Data Recovery Wizard Professional. It works particularly well with Dynamic Disks although I like GetDataBack a lot more.

EDIT: Dang It!  f0dder beat me  :(
-4wd (November 25, 2008, 04:48 PM)
--- End quote ---

He usually does me too... ;D

4wd:
in the past i would have done what zaine said and unplug the other drives. i'd just become over confident by how well everything else had worked with the GAG loader, etc.-nudone (November 26, 2008, 04:51 AM)
--- End quote ---

If you want to try something a little more up-to-date interface-wise than GAG, you could try XOSL.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version