ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Why Vista's DRM Is Bad For You and other jewels by Bruce Schneier

<< < (2/8) > >>

Deozaan:
The linked article is from February 2007. Almost two years ago. Didn't we already hear about how bad DRM was then? What evidence have we seen of Vista DRM ruining stuff for people in the past two years?

justice:
[nevermind]

Josh:
Deozaan: I agree. I for one have not been affected either positively or negatively by "DRM" in vista. Everything I have attempted to play has played in vista provided I have the codec/software to play said file/media/disc. The only thing that has ever affected me was stuff built into a disc like securom and only once have I been affected by that and that was the SPORE game. I am all for fair use and equal rights when it comes to media, but I also support that the companies producing said content have a right to protect their product. The fact of the matter is that, even on this very forum, people admit they often times rip copies of stuff they obtain from netflix. I for one am proud of the fact that I have purchased every movie I own. Call me a "sheep" if you want, but I believe in supporting good art and almost every movie I own I would consider art. I often times find myself purchasing most movies that I see on netflix after I watch them as I feel a good portion of them are worth owning.

Ehtyar:
This kind of apathy is how Hollywood gained control of our computer systems in the first place. The less consumers care that they no longer control their own property, the less they will retain control.
Those of you suggesting that DRM is there for the purpose of protecting the content owned by the major movie studios perhaps ought to consider why Microsoft has not gone to the same extent to prevent software piracy.

Ehtyar.

Josh:
Ehtyar: I own my physical disc, I own the case it came in. I do not own the movie. The movie is licensed out, as has always been the case. The company places measures on the disc to ensure I do not attmept to rip and distribute it. In the society where a good majority of teenagers who are internet saavy feel that all media should be free, what is the industry to do? With the internet age comes a new method of pirating materials in a manner far easier than ever before. Now, I am not saying I do not pirate, but I have calmed down almost 300 fold compared to my earlier days because now, I can afford to purchase what I want. The companies have every right to protect THEIR property which is being licensed to us for private home viewing, not distribution by means other than what they wish.

Microsoft hasn't gone to the same extent? What is product activation, WGA, and the other methods microsoft is employing to protect it's products? It started with Windows 3.11 where you had to have a code to install it (Or was it Windows NT 4), granted you could use the famous ALL 1 code, but still they attempted to protect their software by requiring a key to install. And now they have inspired many major software companies to do the same.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version