topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 2:13 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Uncomplicated speaker design, please  (Read 5768 times)

Edvard

• Coding Snacks Author
  • Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Uncomplicated speaker design, please
« on: November 26, 2008, 12:22 PM »
This one is a VERY loaded question, I know...
I'm looking to build some cheap speakers with some odds and ends in my shop, and looked around the web at different methods for figuring the best cabinet and crossover designs.

What I found was an overwhelming plethora of softwares at various prices and each following different 'schools' of speaker design, online Java apps, whitepapers full of algebra, software packages ranging from freeware to thousands of dollars, you name it, but nothing I found actually useful.
If you're an audiophile, you know what I'm talking about, and will probably cringe at what I'm asking for.

What I want is some kind of software or even basic mathematical models in which I can ignore the technical details that I have no way of knowing, like every last Thiele-Small paramater, Flux Capacitance, Ad Nauseum, etc.

All I need is a ballpark figure for how big to make the enclosure and a general idea of what frequency to cut the crossover and I can take the lumps from there, but I KNOW the speaker design professionals would be all over my case for even considering such a thing.

Can you help?

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Uncomplicated speaker design, please
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2008, 02:02 PM »
A lot of it is determined by what speakers you're using. Different types/brands/sizes have different physics behind them. Quite a few manufacturers have speaker enclosure plans available for their products.

If you want to go complete DIY, this link has pointers to some very useful sites:

http://www.speakerpl...m/index.php?id=links

Speakerplans.com also has some plans up online that might be what you're looking for although they're more geared towards band sound reinforcement. Now that I'm primarily playing an active 5-string bass, I'm looking to put together a G-SUB or HD-15 from this website as soon as I get a little free time and money.

Good luck, and let us know what you finally come up with. :Thmbsup:

« Last Edit: November 26, 2008, 02:04 PM by 40hz »

Edvard

• Coding Snacks Author
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2008, 02:38 PM »
A lot of it is determined by what speakers you're using. Different types/brands/sizes have different physics behind them.

Which is why most speaker design schemes need at least the basic Thiele-Small parameters. I totally understand why and what for of all that. If I wanted to tune my speaker cabinets down to an nth degree, I'd just buy new speakers with a spec sheet included or even a kit of pre-selected parts.
My problem is I have some consumer-grade (read: ripped from busted boom boxes) speakers that I have no idea what the Free Air Resonance, Electrical Q or Tesla-Meters they're capable of. They're still good (as in operational) but are cluttering up the place. The set I plan to use are the best of the bunch so I hope to get at least better-than-dirt performance and I know that part of that involves a properly built cab and crossover.

I'll look over speakerplans.com, I think I was there already, but it looks like I'll have to go over it a little closer on the second run. Thanks for the tip!

Edvard

• Coding Snacks Author
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2008, 03:56 PM »
OK, I had a look-see and it looks like speakerplans.com has more about designing folded-horn bass cabs than anything.
Should be great for what you're planning, 40Hz.
I've found a lot of great resources at Parts Express regarding speakers and components, but the best is their DiY Projects section and the pages on speaker and crossover design. I found a design that uses the same size of speakers I'm planning to use, so I'll do a mashup and see if it flies or sinks.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2008, 09:23 PM »
OK, I had a look-see and it looks like speakerplans.com has more about designing folded-horn bass cabs than anything.
Should be great for what you're planning, 40Hz.

You mean there are other speaker systems besides bass cabinets? Interesting concept - but why? ;D

Man! Talk about myopia! When I read you were looking to build a speaker system, I just automatically assumed you were building instrument cabinets. (My girlfriend just rolled her eyes...) Guess I've been a musician way too long.

BTW: Thanks for the pointer to Parts Express. I'm eventually going to need to make new near-field monitors for studio work, and the Usher 701 on the DIY page looks to be exactly what I'm looking for in that department.

Good luck with your mashing! :)