ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Developer's Corner

Visual Basic: finding out dependent OCX/DLL files

(1/2) > >>

lanux128:
this is a topic in view of the ongoing NANY 2009. anyone programming in Visual Basic need to include all DLL/OCX files manualy if they're not using the PDW (package deployment wizard), so i prepared a simple guide to ensure that all the necessary files are distributed together.

Fig. 1

Fig. 2

Fig. 3

mouser:
nice work lanux  :up:

CWuestefeld:
I was always running into problems with missing DLLs. Here's one of the ways I'd diagnose the problem -- and you could do the same to get the list of what you need.

There's a program called Depends that spits out tree showing all of the (linked) dependencies of a module. One weakness is that it only knows about dependencies that the linker knew about -- stuff that's dynamically loaded by your app code won't be caught.

PPLandry:
Another interesting way to get away of the DLL issues on your VB6 apps is to open it in VB.Net. You then get a list of references. If you then select each of these references, you can, in the properties pane, set that you want to use a local copy. Compiling your app will generate a manifest file (even if the compile fails, which it will inevitably)

With this manifest file you can set up a totally portable app in XP and Vista. No installation and no DLL hell.

More details can be provided if desired

wizard43:
Although I haven't tried it, I understand the instructions for building a manifest file for a VB6 program, but I am completely lost as to how to use the manifest to create a portable, ie. no installation, exe.  This is something I have often wanted to do, and I have at least one client who still insists on doing everything in VB6. :(

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version