ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

What is Donation Coder?

<< < (8/8)

J-Mac:
Yeah, I'm also against new members not being able to post links - I've often needed to do that as first-post when joining a new forum, for the same reasons tomos states. It would definitely help bring down spam, but... just how much spam do we get, and how much would it annoy legitimate users?

Limiting the edit capability to, say, X hours with under 10 posts would probably work out pretty well. Wouldn't be much trouble for regular users, and spammers are very unlikely to do more than a few posts at most.

As for edits showing up on "unread threads", I don't think it would be much of a problem, unless every edit would show up as an entry. Imho it'd be enough for a thread to be flagged as updated (only showing up in the list once), but probably with a per-thread "list of changes"?

This has to be done right - we don't want to flood the board with update thingies, and any new "tools" have to be easy to use :)
-f0dder (November 24, 2008, 04:04 PM)
--- End quote ---

Do you know of a plug-in that can do this?

A lot of good ideas, but if there is no effective way to implement them, how would you proceed?

There are certain filters built in to most forum software along with plug-ins and add-ons; I think that suggestions need to at least be doable. As an example, I am not particularly fond of limiting links but I do know that it is available for most forums. Editing can be limited in some forums, but most are just "On" or "Off"; you can allow or disallow editing. I don’t know SMF forum software; never had the opportunity to work with it.

Anyone here (other than mouser of course!) use SMF before?

Thanks!

Jim

alivingspirit:
Yeah, I'm also against new members not being able to post links - I've often needed to do that as first-post when joining a new forum, for the same reasons tomos states. It would definitely help bring down spam, but... just how much spam do we get, and how much would it annoy legitimate users?

Limiting the edit capability to, say, X hours with under 10 posts would probably work out pretty well. Wouldn't be much trouble for regular users, and spammers are very unlikely to do more than a few posts at most.

As for edits showing up on "unread threads", I don't think it would be much of a problem, unless every edit would show up as an entry. Imho it'd be enough for a thread to be flagged as updated (only showing up in the list once), but probably with a per-thread "list of changes"?

This has to be done right - we don't want to flood the board with update thingies, and any new "tools" have to be easy to use :)
-f0dder (November 24, 2008, 04:04 PM)
--- End quote ---
Said Perfectly!  :Thmbsup:
edit: But I must add that these kind of changes, if implemented correctly is not relay a tool, just a small enhancement.
While it is true that seeing little changes like spelling mistakes could be a little annoying when you click to see the changes only to find out that all the user did was add a smiley, that kind of annoyance is easily fixable. Just add a little number on the side of the changes tab telling people how many characters were changed or added.

myarmor:
@mouser, I would prefer the disable edit after some time.. But, not after 24 hours, instead something like 30 minutes.

It is a bit longer than the usual forums but not enough to gather too many posts following it before it is locked, thereby for the most part preventing the original from being too different from what the followers might have responded to.

24 hours is way too much.. At the same time, mod posting (all posts goes through mods) is a bad idea too, for the reasons mentioned earlier.

manimatters:
Disabling post-edit after <some timespan> seems like a reasonable compromise. And it could perhaps be re-enabled for people with more than X posts...
-f0dder (November 24, 2008, 12:31 PM)
--- End quote ---
This is what seems to me to be the best bet.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version