ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

What is Donation Coder?

<< < (4/8) > >>

cranioscopical:
not sure how to strike a balance between the two.. maybe if by default editing was blocked after 24hrs, but a mod could reset it for a post on request?
-mouser (November 23, 2008, 09:17 PM)
--- End quote ---

Sounds to be a good compromise. One can always make a new post to refresh the information in a topic.
When everything else cascades from an early post, however, I can imagine situations in which an edit to that
early post would be useful to those coming to the topic for the first time.

J-Mac:
it's a pretty good idea i agree..
the only trouble would be those occasional posts where an update is useful, like changing a download link, or a first post of a thread which summarizes info, etc.

not sure how to strike a balance between the two.. maybe if by default editing was blocked after 24hrs, but a mod could reset it for a post on request?
-mouser (November 23, 2008, 09:17 PM)
--- End quote ---

Set a filter limiting all new members to posts without URLs in them. I know that this is possible with Invision PowerBoard. Don’t know much about SMF's forum software; never had the opportunity to setup a forum using SMF. Worth a look.  8)

Jim

alivingspirit:
I don't like this.
Changing your post is a feature I really like about the forums.
A better idea would be to be able to see any changes made to a post. Kind of like a wiki.
As a rule. Things are usually better when you add features not when you take them away or limit them. So if the problem can be solved by adding a feature rather than taking one away, I'd go the adding way.
As far as spam goes. An edit is like a new post and should be treated as such. Nothing should be posted on a forum without a moderator seeing it.

mouser:
A better idea would be to be able to see any changes made to a post. Kind of like a wiki.
--- End quote ---

i think this should be done.. i've posted about this idea in the past and i think it's a great solution.

J-Mac:
I don't like this.
Changing your post is a feature I really like about the forums.
As a rule. Things are usually better when you add features not when you take them away or limit them. So if the problem can be solved by adding a feature rather than taking one away, I'd go the adding way.
As far as spam goes. An edit is like a new post and should be treated as such. Nothing should be posted on a forum without a moderator seeing it.
-alivingspirit (November 24, 2008, 12:06 AM)
--- End quote ---

Problem with that is that I don’t believe there are any moderators with such permissions here - except mouser! Of course, if he has the time to moderate ALL posts here......  :P

Jim

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version