ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

What is Donation Coder?

<< < (7/8) > >>

SirSmiley:
We used that filter over at Aqua-soft and for an immediate solution to a spamming increase it was great but, overall it generates more work for the administering/moderating the forum.

Good active members are still the best bet and I haven't seen any tech solution that doesn't increase the administrative workload.

tomos:
my two cents:

* I've been driven away from some forums because (as a new member) I couldnt post links to explain my problem, or, (occasionally) to help explain my advice (usually a problem though :p)
So, I'm very against blocking adding links

* I'm also fairly against limiting editing capability - maybe as f0dder says after a certain number of posts

Hows about:
making an edit count as a new post (thus, appearing in the "new posts" section) would effectivelly solve this problem.
-jgpaiva (November 24, 2008, 01:06 PM)
--- End quote ---

I think that's a good idea -
it will add to the new posts load but means spam will be spotted

Dormouse:
One of the downsides of all edits being visible is that so many will be very minor. I'll often do an edit to change punctuation or remove a spelling mistake or rewrite to make my meaning clearer. Would be a bit of a pain to see them all in sequence I'd've thought.

f0dder:
Yeah, I'm also against new members not being able to post links - I've often needed to do that as first-post when joining a new forum, for the same reasons tomos states. It would definitely help bring down spam, but... just how much spam do we get, and how much would it annoy legitimate users?

Limiting the edit capability to, say, X hours with under 10 posts would probably work out pretty well. Wouldn't be much trouble for regular users, and spammers are very unlikely to do more than a few posts at most.

As for edits showing up on "unread threads", I don't think it would be much of a problem, unless every edit would show up as an entry. Imho it'd be enough for a thread to be flagged as updated (only showing up in the list once), but probably with a per-thread "list of changes"?

This has to be done right - we don't want to flood the board with update thingies, and any new "tools" have to be easy to use :)

jgpaiva:
I agree with f0dder, showing the thread as "updated" is enough, and would help us catch this kind of stuff. (and also other stuff, like the recent problem with a user editing out his posts).
Also, it'd make sense to be an option, off by default.

Still, this is so rare, that it might not be worth the effort. Not sure as I don't know the smf code.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version