ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Found Deals and Discounts

XYPlorer ($15) Nov 24 at BDJ

<< < (4/6) > >>

Darwin:
Well said, Dormouse  :Thmbsup:

Josh:
Josh, I feel it's a little unfair to call a program overrated due to a missing feature that is rather subtle.  It may not be the program you're looking for because you really need that feature, but I don't think it's a bad program because of it.  I don't think you meant that, though, at least, I didn't read it that way.
-superboyac (November 18, 2008, 05:48 PM)
--- End quote ---

Superboyac, with all due respect, I did not say it was due to lack of THIS feature that I felt the program was overrated. I feel most file manager in general are overrated as I am not able to fully replace windows explorer due to lots of nagging little issues. The big killer for me on any file manager, yes, is the run dialog shell intercepts, however, I do not and will not rate a program down completely on that sole feature. I have been testing each XYPlorer version, as well as several other file managers, over the course of the past 2 years in an attempt to find something which could rid me of certain bugs which were present in Windows Explorer (Not so much anymore with Vista) but alas, many minor things equate to a big problem for me in many programs.

Now, I have posted a total of 4 reviews on betanews, as can be seen here Most of which have now been removed in typical betanews fashion. My reviews were of the same manner as the post I originally made above, however, all an author has to do is complain to betanews and they will remove them. That said, I will not sugar coat my thoughts. If I feel a program is to be rated lower due to lots of little things, I will rate it as such. I don't rate on the basis of what the program is STRIVING to be, I rate it on what it is. Now, apparently DonL could not take my criticism and has had mine and several other legitimate reviews removed because he doesn't like criticism of his program. If he can't take the criticism, perhaps software is the wrong field for him.

Sorry, I will not hide my ratings or feelings because some author is unable to stand any sort of criticism.

nosh:
I can understand Don's feelings, especially if he believes that Josh is 'serial-punishing' him whenever he can, but as someone who frequents the DC forums I would like to be able to slam software whenever I feel like it without having to worry about the thread getting personal.

Josh:
nosh: I have not been serial-punishing anyone. I am not sure what he implies by that but I can only assume it's what others have accused me of which is having multiple accounts. Apparently, when one person posts on certain sites, it sparks others to do the same because they dont feel they have to hide anymore due to the "fanboys" consistently posting. And as such, anyone who posts negatively must be the other negative posters in disguise.

Anyways, whatever, I do not want DC to become a flame factory and as such will concede this topic for my remaining time. I felt my initial post was pretty well mannered and wasn't intended to be inflamatory, merely a statement of my opinion. Oh well, such is life on the intarweb.

DonL, peace! I do not want a fight with you. I just ask that you respect my opinion. You might not think my requests are necessary but as a potential end-user, my requests might be that feature which I require for daily interaction with my PC and as such, can cause me issues if I do not have said feature. Your product is OK, but as I said, there are many problems with it which make me turn away. I am sorry if you feel I am trying to "serial-punish" you, but that is not the case.

DonL:
DonL, peace! I do not want a fight with you. I just ask that you respect my opinion. You might not think my requests are necessary but as a potential end-user, my requests might be that feature which I require for daily interaction with my PC and as such, can cause me issues if I do not have said feature. Your product is OK, but as I said, there are many problems with it which make me turn away. I am sorry if you feel I am trying to "serial-punish" you, but that is not the case.
-Josh (November 19, 2008, 12:26 AM)
--- End quote ---
Giving a program a rating of 1 out of 5 because it does not have a particular feature is not fair. Doing this repeated times, because "it still does not have the feature" is less fair. Josh, you know very well that public user reviews and ratings are an important part of a software's public image, and for me as an independent software developer, it's even more so because I cannot afford bought campaigns. So, isn't it logical that I'm not happy to see that somebody is constantly working on lowering my overall rating on an important site (fileforum) and now is continuing this ("There are so many little nauances about this application... ") on another imporant site (DC).

If you are a user of XYplorer, and you find a bug or have a wish, why don't you simply tell me about it in the user forum? It will be usually handled very fast. And if it's not handled you will learn why. Then you can move on to another software that's better for you. No problem.
I cannot take criticism? Come on, I'm working in this business long enough now, and I get my share every day. I can take it. What I won't tolerate, however, is unfairess.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version