ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

advice needed.....FirstDefense-ISR, ShadowProtect, ShadowUser, Rollback Rx???

<< < (2/6) > >>

city_zen:
Edward Mendelson from AppScout wrote a good article a while back praising ShadowProtect Desktop and (heavily) criticizing Roxio's BackOnTrack:

ShadowProtect Desktop and Roxio BackOnTrack: One's Killer, One's Deadly

hwtan:
From my understanding, Rollback Rx stores only the incremental changes, and it stores these changes into "unused"/free space of the drive (not a locked partition). Rollback RX overrides the allocation system and maintain a second hidden allocation table for these changes. This means that other software (e.g. disk defrag, disk imagining) only see the latest OS allocation table and are not safe for use with Rollback RX.

Perhaps due to improper shutdown, etc. I have encountered file system corruption while using Rollback RX. I have since switched to FD-ISR.

Babis:
First-Defense ISR is THE ultimate program for me, it saved me from many windows formats and gives me the opportunity to endlessly test programs without care if the registry gets bloated or if the one program screws with the other. I have bought it about 2 years ago and it is one of my top 5 software of all time, as it saves time for me and helps me recover in case needed.

Now I know it is not for sale but it is a pity that such a program has been abandoned.

The only "disadvantage" is the space occupied by the snapshots.

codemeister:
Thanks for all the feedback guys!

I'm going to email Todd at Leapfrog and see if there is any possible way to still get a copy.
(I'm sure plenty of people have driven him nuts asking before)

If that falls through, it looks like a good alternative may be ShadowProtect + Returnil.
That way I can keep my C: drive backup states on the NAS drive in case the C: drive goes bad,
and it will still protect from viruses and the like on a daily basis.
I already try to keep most of my data on D:.

I downloaded both of those last night (ShadowProtect & Returnil)
and they seemed to work well.  I also tried "ShadowSurfer" but it didn't
seem as nice as the free Returnil.  I'm going to try a demo of DeepFreeze
today for the heck of it too.

The one bummer I see in these is installing windows updates.  That's where
something like Rollback Rx looks good.  I have to admit, that comment about
HorizonData's support really makes me want to steer clear of their products!
I did manage to search around and found "Eaz-Fix" which looks like the
identical product..  I can't tell who's licensing it from who though.
Is something like ShadowProtect comatible with Eaz-Fix/Rollback Rx?
And if so, would ShadowProtect also be saving off all of the hidden undo data,
or just the current "snapshot"?

Oh, I downloaded microsoft SteadyState, but it somehow feels less steady than Returnil.
I also didn't like how hidden it was...I would prefer a bright icon letting me know
what mode I'm in.

Back to more testing    ;D 

Carol Haynes:
Edit:[/b]  I just checked my invoice: the added support package I purchased is as follows:

"Gold Support - 24hour response, email of updates, patches and new builds"

Ha! Some fools' "gold" I paid for, eh?
-J-Mac (November 17, 2008, 09:33 PM)
--- End quote ---

If you paid by credit card trying getting a refund because they are not providing the service and if that fails go to the credit card company for a refund.

I don't know where you are based but in the UK the Consumer Credit Act means that the credit card company is jointly responsible with the seller for sales and services bought on credit.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version