ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Developer's Corner

Microsoft releases SmallBasic for Newbie Programmers

(1/6) > >>

icekin:
MS has released a Small Basic Compiler and IDE for those looking to get started with programming. I have yet to try it and while it might not compare to C++ just yet, it has the lowest barrier to entry of any programming language I've seen so far with only 15 keywords.

From the Small Basic Website:Small Basic is a project that's aimed at bringing "fun" back to programming. By providing a small and easy to learn programming language in a friendly and inviting development environment, Small Basic makes programming a breeze. Ideal for kids and adults alike, Small Basic helps beginners take the first step into the wonderful world of programming.

* Small Basic derives its inspiration from the original BASIC programming language, and is based on the Microsoft .Net platform. It is really small with just 15 keywords and uses minimal concepts to keep the barrier to entry as low as possible.
* The Small Basic development environment is simple, yet provides powerful modern environment features like Intellisenseā„¢ and instant context sensitive help.
* Small Basic allows third-party libraries to be plugged in with ease, making it possible for the community to extend the experience in fun and interesting ways.
--- End quote ---

Small Basic Homepage and Download Link
Please post some feedback if you have taken it for a spin.

mahesh2k:
I'll give it try, nice find  :up:

f0dder:
Friends don't let friends use BASIC! :)

It is possible to write OK structured code with a BASIC flavor like Visual Basic, problem is that the language, IDE, and the type of programmers it attracts usually lead to... horrible... code. And sometimes, irreversible brain damage. Haven't looked at SmallBasic, but doubt it's any different 8)

mahesh2k:
And sometimes, irreversible brain damage.
--- End quote ---

Now i need to know what is wrong with Basic? I mean small basic looks less headache to me though :-\

justice:

--- Code: Text ---GraphicsWindow.BackgroundColor = "Black" GraphicsWindow.MouseDown = OnMouseDown  Sub OnMouseDown   pic = Flickr.GetRandomPicture("mountains, river")   GraphicsWindow.DrawResizedImage(pic, 0, 0, 640, 480) EndSubha fantastic :) It actually seems to be really similar to Visual Basic .NET in syntax which should pose no problem once you've grown out of smallbasic, which is probably the aim of it. Great idea and interesting IDE too.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version