ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Developer's Corner

Microsoft releases SmallBasic for Newbie Programmers

<< < (4/6) > >>

MilesAhead:
The code reuse is using the DLLs that are in windows.  Trouble is there are more and more versions of this small code reuse.  Pretty soon we'll have 20 versions of .NET about 1/2 dozen of each Windows DLL and a whole bunch of COM and DCOM servers on the system just in case something might use it.  No Wonder my Vista64 with very few apps and almost no data of my creation backs up to over 30 GB after compression!  So much for keeping it small.

f0dder:
Code re-use is simply re-using files - whether they're part of Windows or not (and originally in the Win9x days, the VB runtimes were not shipped with Windows).

And you don't need "a dozen of each DLL file" - only if you add something (or make changes) to it's interface.

.NET is a bit bad, I wonder why it's so big - and whether you need all the different .net versions or if eg. the 3.5 framework also supports all older versions.

Vista does include a lot of junk by default that most people don't need, which is a shame. And if your backup program doesn't know about hard- and symlinks, it's going to make a lot of duplicate data copies...

kyrathaba:
.NET is a bit bad, I wonder why it's so big - and whether you need all the different .net versions or if eg. the 3.5 framework also supports all older versions.
--- End quote ---

The latest version, .NET 3.5, is backward compatible with versions 1.0 and 2.0 in most cases.  There are some deprecated functions, but on balance backward compatibility is pretty good, in my experience.  If you are a developer, all of the MS IDEs offer a project conversion wizard that updates projects to be compatible with the latest framework. 

Pretty soon we'll have 20 versions of .NET...
--- End quote ---

I very seriously doubt that.  The .NET Framework 3.5 is incredibly extensive.  I don't envision a slew of further versions beyond 3.5; but we'll see.

f0dder:
--- End quote ---

The latest version, .NET 3.5, is backward compatible with versions 1.0 and 2.0 in most cases.  There are some deprecated functions, but on balance backward compatibility is pretty good, in my experience.  If you are a developer, all of the MS IDEs offer a project conversion wizard that updates projects to be compatible with the latest framework.-kyrathaba (March 11, 2009, 06:50 PM)
--- End quote ---
Does that mean I can uninstall all previous .NET versions and use 3.5 to run applications targetting, say .NET 2.0?

Lashiec:
.NET 3.5 also installs 2.0 :)

I very seriously doubt that.  The .NET Framework 3.5 is incredibly extensive.  I don't envision a slew of further versions beyond 3.5; but we'll see.
-kyrathaba (March 11, 2009, 06:50 PM)
--- End quote ---

.NET 4.0 was announced in the last PDC so...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version