topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday April 18, 2024, 7:57 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Tabbloid service lets you create your own newsletter from RSS feeds  (Read 5941 times)

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Found on: ghacks.com An interesting free service that allows you to create your own customized newsletter out of RSS newsfeeds.

Get Magazine Style RSS News Feeds Delivered To Your Inbox
Posted by Martin in Online Services 

RSS Feeds are probably the best way of receiving updates from favorite websites and services. They are however still more of a thing for the technical inclined Internet users and largely ignored by the average users. They do have a few other limitations like only being viewable in applications that support RSS News Feeds.

One option that has become popular in recent months is to create pdf documents out of RSS News Feeds which solves the accessibility problem. Tabbloid is a relatively new Internet service that can turn RSS News Feeds into pdf documents and send those news digest right to the user’s inbox.

This is done by pasting RSS News Feed urls into the form on the main Tabbloid website. The service will check the feed, display a preview of the last news items that have been posted and ask the user to accept or reject it. If the user accepts the feed it gets added to the list of feeds that will be processed.

It is possible to add multiple feeds which would then all be used to fill the pdf document. Options exist to generate the pdf right at the website or set delivery options to receive the pdf document in the inbox. The possible intervals are hourly, daily or weekly.

Link to article:
http://www.ghacks.ne...vered-to-your-inbox/

I've been experimenting with Tabbloid for a few days, and so far, it does exactly what it says it does. It might not be ideal for every newsfeed you subscribe to, so it will be a while before you can ditch your current feed reader. But for news sites that primarily do daily feature articles (BBC, NPR, etc.), it's pretty much ideal. Great for getting caught up on things when you can't boot a computer. I just have my system print out my custom 'newspaper' each morning and I'm set to go.

You can also create a one-off pdf of any feed (or feeds) if you don't want it generated on an ongoing basis. Great for those times when you just want to print-and-go.

Here's part of today's issue. What you're seeing is the first page with two articles gleaned from ArsTechnica's newsfeed.

Tabbloid.gif

Now I'm never caught without something to read at lunchtime; or when I'm on MetroNorth and heading into The Big Apple. 8)

Like it! :Thmbsup:
« Last Edit: November 07, 2008, 12:59 PM by 40hz »

justice

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Tabbloid service lets you create your own newsletter from RSS feeds
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2008, 07:34 AM »
You still using this?

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2008, 02:25 PM »
You still using this?

Well, I was up until a few days ago. I think Tabbloid has been discovered because it hasn't been working all that great since about the 12th of the month. I think they're getting clobbered with volume. Hope they get it all sorted out, although it shouldn't be too difficult to script something that does the same thing if push came to shove. I'd prefer it as a desktop application rather than a web service anyway.

justice

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2008, 06:28 AM »
initial eurphoria has worn off :D that happens to me all the time that's why I asked :D