ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

How To Keep Hostile Jerks From Taking Over Your Online Community

<< < (3/3)

CWuestefeld:
That's why a lot of sites also pay attention to the IP addresses of the people who are causing problems. You can frequently catch banned users who are attempting to re-register that way. If push comes to shove you can also deny registration requests from a block of IP addresses; or deny access altogether. -40hz (November 13, 2008, 09:33 PM)
--- End quote ---

Way back in the day, I was active on a hacker/phreaker BBS. To keep out the "bad" guys, we had a unique security feature. During login, the BBS would send a "+++" to get into the modem's command mode, then issue the command to query the device's serial number, and then put the modem back into normal mode. This would prevent anyone getting in with a stolen password, unless they had also stolen the user's modem as well.

40hz:
I was active on a hacker/phreaker BBS. To keep out the "bad" guys, we had a unique security feature. During login, the BBS would send a "+++" to get into the modem's command mode, then issue the command to query the device's serial number, and then put the modem back into normal mode.
-CWuestefeld (November 14, 2008, 05:04 PM)
--- End quote ---

Were you the guy that came up with that? I had a script given to me for my Wildcat! BBS that did that. I always wanted to thank whoever came up with the idea. I only really needed it one time, but that one time was a lifesaver.

Sweet hack! :Thmbsup: :Thmbsup:

40hz:
Phantom zone? Seems misnamed; maybe 'Jerk zone'?  :o
-zridling (November 14, 2008, 04:25 PM)
--- End quote ---

How about Jerkwater Junction? ;D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version