ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Surfulater 3 - huge price hike (166%) + where is the Firefox add-on?

<< < (2/8) > >>

tomos:
I was suprised by the price hike allright  :-\

I notice if you actually go to buy, you (all) get a 12% discount, but the 50% upgrade is only valid if you bought Surfulater in the last two years - must check when I got mine, about two years ago I'd say :(

from the email announcement
# Tags: Tag your articles with single or multi-word tags in addition to the existing folder structure.
# Tag Tree: View trees of tags, allowing you to sort and organize your articles in almost any conceivable way.
# Editable templates
# Full Windows Vista IE7 support
# One-step Firefox install
# Expanded rights: A single license now gives you the right to install it on up to five computers for a single user.
# Many other features. Read them in the Release Notes.
--- End quote ---

blog post here

Carol Haynes:
In my horror at the price hike I hadn't noticed the 2 year rule on upgrades!

That's the nail in the coffin for me - no way I would be tempted to pay for the product from scratch - what a rip-off.

Good example of how to alienate customers - there hasn't even been the opportunity to upgrade in the last two years!!  :down: :down: :down: :down: :down:

tomos:
I hadn't noticed the 2 year rule on upgrades!

That's the nail in the coffin for me - no way I would be tempted to pay for the product from scratch
-Carol Haynes (November 14, 2008, 04:19 AM)
--- End quote ---

Yeah, I find it a bit harsh in any product but especially in such a relatively young product
hmm ...
in fairness it upgraded to version 2 Dec 2006 which is almost two years now .. but still - I think he should at least offer 25% reduction to people who bought a version 1

Carol Haynes:
Personally I think there should be an upgrade price for all previous users - if it is 50% so be it. What does it say to early adopters who put up with buggy software in version 1  in the early days (which was basically almost a beta testing version) that they now have to shell out the full price at 166% mark up on their original purchase. I can't see many users doing that or recommending the software in future - is that a sensible marketing policy.

Even at 50% discount it is significantly more expensive than the previous full price for software that essentially duplicates the functionality of many other programs that are either free or a lot cheaper.

I have been stung twice now - I bought NetSnippets even though they had a free version (and that has now disappeared completely) and now Surfulater has hiked its price to the point where it isn't really worth the money.

CleverCat:
I won a copy here also!

With the exchange rate at mo being over R10 to the $.... R500 for upgrade - I think not!  :down:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version