ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Surfulater 3 - huge price hike (166%) + where is the Firefox add-on?

(1/8) > >>

Carol Haynes:
I got an email today announcing the release of Surfulater 3.

Rather surprised at the pricing. When I purchased a copy in 2006 the full cost was £21.10 (I got a DC 30% discount so I paid £17.36) - today the full cost of the software is £56.30. Even with a 50% discount for upgrading that means it would cost £28.15.

Is it me or does this price hike seem a little much ???

Personally I won't be upgrading. I have downloaded the final version 2 release and installed it (though I haven't used it in ages).

On another matter does anyone have a recent copy of the Firefox add-on for Surfulater version 2 with Firefox 3? I only have old copies on my hard disc and they won't install in Firefox 3 (even with version checking disabled). For some reason the download is not on the Surfulater website any more (it seems to be integrated in the version 3 installer - I suppose I could install version 3 and then roll back to version 2 but it would be easier just to install the FF add-on).

CWuestefeld:
though I haven't used it in ages
-Carol Haynes (November 13, 2008, 08:01 PM)
--- End quote ---
Ditto. I bought and paid for it, but then found that Evernote does the job much better. On the other hand, Evernote put themselves in the doghouse for me...

J-Mac:
Don’t feel bad...  I purchased Ultra Recall only a few months ago and the developer just posted last week that it is basically being abandoned. If Surfalater was an application I really liked and used, a price hike might be a little less biting than dropping all development for it!

BTW, over at OutlinerSoftware.com I saw a post saying that the web clipping in Surfalater 3 outdoes Evernote's clips and praising the developer. I've not tried it so I can't comment either way.

Jim

Carol Haynes:
For anyone that is interested I got an answer from Surfulater support.

You can download the Firefopx Extension here (look for attachments at the bottom of the post - if you click the link in the post it just takes you back to the main download page on the website which doesn't have a link).

Not exactly obvious!

app103:
Surfulater 3 includes the Firefox plugin, so if you have upgraded you will not need it. The seperate downloadable plugin is only for version 2.

For anyone that is interested I got an answer from Surfulater support.

You can download the Firefopx Extension here (look for attachments at the bottom of the post - if you click the link in the post it just takes you back to the main download page on the website which doesn't have a link).

Not exactly obvious!
-Carol Haynes (November 14, 2008, 02:57 AM)
--- End quote ---

I just installed version 2 on my new computer yesterday and went bonkers looking for the plugin, myself. I contacted support through the forum yesterday and also got a reply pointing me to the same forum post. The Firefox plugin was added today, probably in response to the 2 of us (maybe more?) asking where it is.

I also mentioned how much I love their application, but that I wouldn't be upgrading, due to the huge price increase. I can't afford to pay that much, and even with the 50% upgrade discount it's still too much for me. It's $79 US (up from original $35 US), $39.50 US for upgrade,

I won my copy of v2 in a drawing here. (lucky me!)

I would rather stick with the older v2 than use Evernote or Google Notebook. (I never really liked either one of those.)

I guess I have until the next version of Firefox (that won't work with the current plugin) to find a replacement.  :(

(I am also wondering how difficult it would be to hack together something to make it work with K-Meleon)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version