ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Surfulater 3 - huge price hike (166%) + where is the Firefox add-on?

<< < (7/8) > >>

tomos:
You will soon - on March 4 - be able to purchase Surfulator for $39.50 at Bits. 
-sazzen (February 26, 2009, 10:56 AM)
--- End quote ---

Just a bump to the thread as the discount is now available for the next 22 or so hours...

http://www.bitsdujour.com/software/surfulater/
-mwb1100 (March 04, 2009, 12:22 AM)
--- End quote ---
that's a good price

I was thinking about the thread title - to be fair to Surfulater it went from 59 to 79 dollars which is a 33% price hike rise, as opposed to the 166% mentioned - which is also correct, but over a period of years, and starting from a reduced price as Neville has said.
Would you consider changing or removing that number from the thread title Carol?
I guess it's a piece of software I like a lot which is why I ask as well :)

Carol Haynes:
No what I printed was accurate. Whilst I agree that $39.50 is a more reasonable price it is still (IMHO) expensive compared to other shareware.

The reason I won't be going for it even at that price is that I object to their upgrade policy even more - which is what started this thread.

I bought a copy of Sufulater 2 but when it came time to upgrade they want the full price again because I bought version 2 'too long ago' to qualify for the upgrade price.

If you read my original post that started this thread this means I would have to pay 166% more than I originally paid to purchase version 2 in order to upgrade to version 3. (If you want me to show you the sums I am willing to do that).

By the way Sufulater 2 was originally $39.99 not $59 - so even then there had been a 50% hike!

I realise that people charge what the market can bear to make a buck but I started this thread to simply say that I think their price hikes are unreasonable and their upgrade policy stinks. This member of the market won't bear it and I won't be locked into software that is produced by a developer that behaves in this way. What's the next price going to be? $129.99, £249.99 - pick a number!

tomos:
fair enough, just thought I'd ask.
I felt it gives the impression that there was just recently a 166% price hike which isnt the case, but -
in the context of the upgrade - yes, I think to put a time limit as opposed to a version limit on the upgrade is a mistake guaranteed to alienate early purchasers of version 2.

Me, I bought Version 1 so I wouldnt qualify for an upgrade price either way, mind you as I've said above I'd prefer to see larger upgrade price for older versions as opposed to full price.

wraith808:
Have you been to their forum? Or the outlinersoftware.com forum? The developer removed his Roadmap post and replaced it with a statement that Ultra Recall would no longer be actively developed due to the poor economy. After a large outcry by users along with a lot of posts at various forums, he replaced that statement with a much smaller Roadmap - with most of the significant future improvements missing. Since then he has released three minor bug-fix updates.

I still use it - Kyle says that he won't abandon UR and that he will definitely support it through Windows 7 compatibility. But probably no innovative changes to it.
-J-Mac (March 04, 2009, 01:54 AM)
--- End quote ---

Ah, I found it.  Probably completely overlooked it, as I purchased it years ago, and still only have a few items in it.  I recently uninstalled it.  Tried surfulater also, and promptly forgot about it.  Evernote has been the best for me, as it syncs across platforms.  I'll probably try a few others I saw in the forums also (Zoot and Knowledgeware looked promising), but that's just because I'm a software addict  :-[

tomos:
Re: Surfulater upgrading policy

I've asked for a clarification in their forum about upgrade pricing
will let you know when I get a response
-tomos (March 05, 2009, 03:23 AM)
--- End quote ---

well it turns out this whole upgrading thing was a misunderstanding based on the wording in the email sent out to announce Version 3

Hi Tom,
Anyone that has purchased Version 2 can upgrade to Version 3 at 50% off as per the "What is your upgrade policy?" section on our FAQ and Purchase Web pages. If they purchased Version 2 within 90 calendar days of the release of Version 3, then the upgrade is free. I hope that is clear.-http://www.softasitgets.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=6431#poststop
--- End quote ---

So from Version 2 you can upgrade to version 3 @ 50% off

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version