ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > N.A.N.Y. 2009

NANY 2009 Intro

<< < (20/25) > >>

cranioscopical:
I'm feeling rather discouraged/overwhelmed at trying a desktop app.
Tried in wxperl (since i can do perl in my sleep, or close) but realised that there is pretty much no way to package things properly for distribution. So will have to tackle something else.

Netbeans/java perhaps but I already have another product with a steep learning curve so I don't know.
-iphigenie (December 15, 2008, 05:56 AM)
--- End quote ---

It'd be great to see something from you.
Let me offer a truly self-serving idea (feel free to ignore it, of course).
I mention this because I feel it would be quick to do for someone capable.

Some while back I asked if someone could do this.
There were many helpful responses but none resulted in quite what I was seeking.
This was easy to do under OS/2 and I've always wished it were available under Windows.
None of the 'canned' applications does it.
It's Here.

As I say, if this strikes you as ludicrous, or beneath your talents, just ignore the idea.

iphigenie:
It'd be great to see something from you.
Let me offer a truly self-serving idea (feel free to ignore it, of course).
I mention this because I feel it would be quick to do for someone capable.

Some while back I asked if someone could do this.
There were many helpful responses but none resulted in quite what I was seeking.
This was easy to do under OS/2 and I've always wished it were available under Windows.
None of the 'canned' applications does it.
It's Here.

As I say, if this strikes you as ludicrous, or beneath your talents, just ignore the idea.

-cranioscopical (December 15, 2008, 08:20 AM)
--- End quote ---

Funnily enough the only place I ever wrote graphical UI apps was OS/2 (and that was purely to learn it). I still have the Visual Age registration codes somewhere...

I could probably do the math for the spacing and all that, since i did teach numerical physics.

the bit about manipulating icons totally daunts me, I wouldnt know where to start. And the problem is, if you don't know where to start with something, you end up getting sidetracked or procrastinating. Currently i am wasting my time going through tutorials and reading myself back up to date about 3 different languages and checking all the web frameworks out there.
My background is data processing, command line stuff, and web. I think I need something requiring less understanding of how the specific OS or window manager works.

I'm gravitating back to "iphi's memorable passwords" idea - because I don't like using tools that remember passwords for you, that is a security risk, neither is it smart to use the same combination everywhere - the best option is to have passwords that are hard to guess, but that can easily be re-triggered for the person even after not having used them for a while...
My full idea is too much for a nany but i might do part of it... desktop or web, that is the question.

I have actually taken the jump to write it up https://www.donationcoder.com/forum/index.php?topic=16187.msg142274#msg142274

tranglos:
Tried in wxperl (since i can do perl in my sleep, or close) but realised that there is pretty much no way to package things properly for distribution. -iphigenie (December 15, 2008, 05:56 AM)
--- End quote ---

I admit I know nothing about what packaging a perl distribution would entail, but would it be useful to see how another project does it? You may be familiar with PopFile, probably the first spam filter to use Bayes classification. It's multiplatform, runs fine on Windows, and is written in Perl (although they use the browser for an interface rather than any widget set). You'll find the complete source code from getpopfile.org, which would perhaps illustrate packaging perl for Windows.

iphigenie:
Yes, it might - in part it is my ignorance that limits me.
I used popfile many times, awesome product. It stopped working on my machine at some point, although now that i have strawberry perl I should give it a try again

The advantage of doing it in perl is that i can do all the engine bits, and fallback to web if needed

cranioscopical:
I'm gravitating back to "iphi's memorable passwords" idea - because I don't like using tools that remember passwords for you, that is a security risk, neither is it smart to use the same combination everywhere-iphigenie (December 15, 2008, 11:05 AM)
--- End quote ---

That certainly sounds interesting!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version