ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

phraseexpress: how does it work?

<< < (3/3)

stewcam:
AutoHotkey misses support for formatted text, the AutoHotkey "user interface" is like vomit, it is tedious to add new snippets, it does not allow to assign multiple text strings to one single abbreviation. AutoHotkey also does not allow to group phrases in categories and you can't limit Autotexts to a specific programs. It also cannot import your AutoCorrect entries you created in Microsoft Word.
-Merida (November 16, 2008, 09:42 AM)
--- End quote ---
Merida, these comments suggest that you have only scratched the surface of AutoHotkey. Many (?most) DonationCoder.com regulars would not find the programming involved particularly difficult. I concede that AHK does not support formatted text or import from MS Word. However, the user interface is infinitely flexible. For example, I edit autotext entries using PSPad, which is called up instantly with a AHK hotkey. Phrases can be grouped in categories using simple menus, which can also accomodate multiple text strings off a single abbreviation. Limiting autotext to a specific program is also simple. Why have not have another look, starting at:
AHK hotstrings and auto-replace
If you get stuck with AHK the user community is incredibly helpful. By contrast PhraseExpress has no user community as such, just a technical support forum which has fewer entries in a month than AHK often gets in a day:
PhraseExpress forum

By the way, I'm guessing you are someone who has a system tray full of utilities that do different things. Much neater to get into AHK and have 'one ring to rule them all'!

Merida:
Merida - are you in anyway related to the PhraseExpress product? You have posted a few messages recently and most seem to be promoting PhraseExpress. That isn't a problem but if you have a financial or intellectual stake in the product it would be nice to know it.
-Carol Haynes (November 17, 2008, 03:14 PM)
--- End quote ---

Nope, no affiliation at all.

Merida:
[/url]
If you get stuck with AHK the user community is incredibly helpful.
-stewcam (November 18, 2008, 02:15 AM)
--- End quote ---

Do you consider the amount of support required to get something running a positive feature of a software? :-)

I guess that iPhone support forum is only a fraction of the one for Windows Mobile 6. Which is better though? Windows Mobile just for the sake of the many people who can't get it to work without asking thousands of questions?

Anyway as said: AutoHotkey is a very powerful automation and macro utility but its hotstring feature is pretty poor compared specialized tools.

tinjaw:
If I type a word a few times, it still doesn't predict it.
It offers no predictions whatsoever.
-urlwolf (November 17, 2008, 12:46 PM)
--- End quote ---

Have you gotten an answer to this? I remember PE working out of the box for me when I tried it, oh, maybe a year ago.

Personally I use Typing Assistant. I purchased it over a year ago and recently upgraded to the latest version.

rjbull:
Personally I use Typing Assistant.
-tinjaw (November 18, 2008, 08:56 PM)
--- End quote ---

The author of Typing Assistant offered DC members a discount here, but you have to e-mail him, and he doesn't say if it's time-limited.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version