ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Editor for PDFs: recommendations, please?

<< < (20/25) > >>

rjbull:
..., you can change things, but it's a bit like using peelable Letraset, or a kindergarten cut-and-stick job.  It isn't remotely like using a word processor.
-rjbull (January 30, 2010, 02:44 PM)
--- End quote ---

so you feel sure it will treat the pdf as if it is an image and not a text file?
-Curt (January 30, 2010, 05:33 PM)
--- End quote ---
Without trying Lightning PDF  I obviously can't be certain, but, Foxit PDF Editor knows what the component objects of a PDF are.  I haven't tried its graphics abilities, but it can edit graphics (sort of simple form of Paint, I think).  It knows text objects are a different kind of thing, and allows you to perform actions on them like delete individual letters or add new ones, or, to move the whole text object complete.  That last feature is like you had that block of text printed on a transparent sheet, and moved the whole sheet to a different location as a unit.  Foxit also has various features like alignment that I didn't discover when I was using it at work (haven't had to use it for a while, going rusty).

Curt:
Earlier versions of Serif PagePlus were criticised for not handling PDF files properly (or at all), but "now" Serif is making a big noise about the "new" (almost half a year old) PagePlus X5's PDF capabilities:

Impressive PDF Editing

Import and edit documents from anywhere and enjoy real compatibility with customers, colleagues, business partners, web browsers and print shops!

Edit Everything in PDFs
Break the mould for a desktop publisher and edit PDF documents as if they were regular PagePlus publications: change text, fonts, layout, colors, images, page order, add and delete pages, merge PDFs, add new content, correct changes in PDFs you receive, and more!

Publish Designs as PDF for Professional Compatibility
PDFs made by PagePlus can be optimized for professional printing, desktop printing, viewing online, highly optimized for email, and can be viewed on other PCs, Macs, tablets, laptops, netbooks and smartphones. Plus you’ll get accurate prints thanks to PDF/X-1a compliance for commercial presses and print shops!

Create Interactive e-Brochures, Forms and Documents
Add hyperlinks and more to traditional documents to make attractive electronic brochures you can publish as efficient PDFs for easy sharing or hosting online. PagePlus’ forms are also printable PDFs so a design can be filled in by hand and sent by post, or completed electronically… with the completed form data sent to you by email, for free.

...-Serif PagePlus
--- End quote ---

The offer's link included my email address, so you will have to find the proper page yourself.

iphigenie:
I have both Nitro Pro and PDF Annotator - both are useful in different ways - happy to answer some questions if anyone is curious

rjbull:
Serif is making a big noise about the "new" (almost half a year old) PagePlus X5's PDF capabilities-Curt (March 09, 2011, 04:48 PM)
--- End quote ---

Hmmm...  I have X4, maybe I should consider responding to their e-mails about upgrading, as long as I can use a coupon.  On the other hand, I already have both Foxit and Infix...

Curt:
... PagePlus X5's PDF capabilities-Curt (March 09, 2011, 04:48 PM)
--- End quote ---
Hmmm...  I have X4, maybe I should consider responding to their e-mails about upgrading, as long as I can use a coupon.  On the other hand, I already have both Foxit and Infix...-rjbull (March 10, 2011, 03:00 PM)
--- End quote ---

-maybe, and maybe not.

A relative advanced PDF file (that my genuine pdf editors had no problem with) made PagePlus X5 give these messages:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version