ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Editor for PDFs: recommendations, please?

<< < (6/25) > >>

rjbull:
FWIW Serif PagePlus version 11 is advertised @ $29.99 at this link.
-cranioscopical (December 04, 2008, 09:09 AM)
--- End quote ---

£19.99.  Even stranger, they're offering 10 and 11 at the same prices.  Very hard to find your way around their latest and greatest offers.

I'd be interested to hear anyone's experiences of using Serif PagePlus 11 for editing PDFs, as if it works, it would be an unusually cheap approach.  Foxit PDF Editor is $99, for example, about £67.

cranioscopical:
I'd be interested to hear anyone's experiences of using Serif PagePlus 11 for editing PDFs, as if it works, it would be an unusually cheap approach.  Foxit PDF Editor is $99, for example, about £67.-rjbull
--- End quote ---
From the illustration on their site, showing pdf editing, it looks as though pdf editing is less flexible than one might hope... it's hard to tell.

Darwin:
I've got X2 installed and have *tried* to use it for PDF editing. It works, but not nearly as well as a dedicated PDF application. As Chris, notes, it lacks flexibilty. The few times I've tried using it to edit pdfs, I've wound up switching to Scansoft PDF Converter Pro.

rjbull:
I've wound up switching to Scansoft PDF Converter Pro.
-Darwin (December 04, 2008, 02:16 PM)
--- End quote ---

Is that the Nuance one?  I seem to remember someone complaining about problems with it?  Have you compared it with Able2Extract?

Darwin:
I've wound up switching to Scansoft PDF Converter Pro.
-Darwin (December 04, 2008, 02:16 PM)
--- End quote ---

Is that the Nuance one?  I seem to remember someone complaining about problems with it?  Have you compared it with Able2Extract?

-rjbull (December 05, 2008, 05:01 AM)
--- End quote ---

Er... yes, to the first two points! And I've complained about it from time to time - but then it usually comes down to me complaining about something! I've got it running very smoothly, now. THere is a system wide glitch with it under XP that took me YEARS to solve (I was looking in other places for the fault - realised where fault lay when I uninstalled PDFCP a while back) - certain programs default to (in my case) displaying titles, taskbar titles, and open and save dialogs in Korean (or some other language, presumably, on other systems). Works BRILLIANTLY under Vista, though.

Haven't had a chance to look at Able2Extract, yet. Will do so soon (deadlines to meet today).

Just had a look at the developer's product comparison table - AFAICT, Nuance's PDF Converter Professional 5 (wish they'd do a matrix on one page) is much more feature rich, comes in one package and, as a result, is much cheaper. You can get PDFC Pro 5 for $99 (there's an Enterprise version with even more features for $149) - if you pay full price (usually not necessary) and it does everything on that table. To approximate the feature set of PDFC Pro, you'd need to buy both Sonic PDF Creator ($174.95) and Able2Extract Professional ($129).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version