ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Editor for PDFs: recommendations, please?

<< < (4/25) > >>

rjbull:
does Nitro PDF also convert pdfs that are comprised of scanned images into searchable pdfs? Essentially, this would require the developer to ship Nitro PDF with OCR capabilities... I need a PDF solution for my XP machine
-Darwin (November 25, 2008, 11:56 AM)
--- End quote ---

Darwin,

Have you looked at Able2Extract Professional ($129)?  I haven't tried it, but the Web site seems to suggest it has what you're looking for:

Able2Extract Professional 6.0 adds scanned (image) PDF conversion capabilities to the Able2Extract 6.0 feature set. For users working with documents that are paper based and need to be scanned or, have already been saved as image PDFs, Able2Extract Professional is the choice.

--- End quote ---

[Edit]
They have some cheaper options if you only need to convert to Word, not Excel or HTML or whatnot.  See their Product Comparison table.
[/Edit]

mateek:
@mateek:
I thought PagePlus was a DTP program, not a PDF editor?
--- End quote ---

rjbull, it is a DTP, which I tend to forget, because I've never used it for anything but PDF editing.  Like I say, my version in about 3-4 years back (PagePlus11), and the interface was fairly crisp, so I didn't get distracted by other features at all.  That may have changed.  Serif doesn't seem to offer a trial, just a money back guarantee.

Dormouse:
Of course, there's a whole range of PagePlus versions available - from SE (free) which won't export PDFs to 9 (which will) and 10, 11 to X3 which is the most recent. 9 is fairly cheap (under £10). All Serif software seems well recommended by its users for functionality and value, but I don't use it myself and so don't know the best value way in. The do use free older versions as a marketing technique and do appear to give discounts on newer versions to people who are upgrading.

rjbull:
@mateek, Dormouse:

I've never tried Serif stuff, but have never heard anything bad about it.  It tends to do fairly well in magazine group tests, for what those are worth, though seldom wins, and it sometimes turns up on "free" cover disks in the UK.

Maybe worth investigating, then; an interesting out-of-the-blue suggestion, too.  Thanks!   :)

Grorgy:
Not sure how easy it is to find their free and cheap site so here it is if you haven't got it, http://www.freeserifsoftware.com/software/PagePlus/default.asp   

Looks like the free one won't do PDF but version 9 will which is under 10 dollars (or pounds) and version 10 is also very cheap compared to the new one.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version