ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Tagging Files (Tag Everything)

<< < (3/6) > >>

MrCrispy:
2 other tools that also do general purpose tagging - www.taggtool.com and www.tag2find.com.

I hate the way Windows has half baked tag support (we'll let you tag music files, office docs, but not any file) even though NTFS has all the support built in !!

nosh:
I've given up on ADS and started appending tags to file names. It's not very pretty but I feel more secure with the system than I would with an app that has a centralized database. You miss out on fancy stuff like tag clouds but being able to search with Everything or Locate32 is quite an advantage. Mass tag management is also a breeze using something like ReNamer. Anyone know of an app that lets you manage tags within file names? Something simple that lets you invoke tagging via a file's shell context menu and lets you add predefined tags via checkboxes and manages (create/delete/rename) tags.

nontroppo:
I hate the way Windows has half baked tag support (we'll let you tag music files, office docs, but not any file) even though NTFS has all the support built in !!
-MrCrispy (January 23, 2009, 03:40 AM)
--- End quote ---

Indeed, I wish Windows 7 had rehabilitated file system level tagging for NTFS... Metadata is such an important advancement in terms of digital data management that I think it has to be available at the base of an OS. Perhaps there have been some changes to make Libraries more solid in functionality?

MicaX27:
But what are these apps using for tag storage? If they are using proprietary datastores this makes using them utterly unsatisfactory. The OS needs to provide transparent metadata, accessible to all; not rely on these information-rich data islands.-nontroppo (January 22, 2009, 07:30 PM)
--- End quote ---

Exactly. If the tags or comments aren't accessible through a file manager such as Directory Opus (or even Windows Explorer), they're useless to me. When my primary OS was XP, I used the HobComment Explorer & Shell Extensions (http://www.dr-hoiby.com/CommentExt/index.php) to add comments to files and folders, but unfortunately this little utility doesn't work in Vista. Does anyone know of a Vista x64 compatible application (doesn't have to be freeware) that can add tags or comments to all file types and that stores the metadata with the file and not in a separate database?

rjbull:
Has anyone noticed that the latest version of XYplorer 7.90.0100 lets you assign tags and comments to specific files and folders?  I don't know where or how it saves the data, though.  Total Commander uses the 4DOS DESCRIPT.ION system, which is convenient because some other programs use it too.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version