ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Excel help: Showing multiple, seperate ranges on top of one another

<< < (3/3)

superboyac:
Oh I know what the problem is.  The index function is assuming G2 is the range.  But I want it to assume that the content of G2 (vh) is the name of the reference to the range I want.  Ah!  How do I do that?

superboyac:
I can't seem to figure this out.  I'm using the INDEX function but instead of typing the named range in the argument directly, I'm using a formula to do it (vlookup).  So I checked the formula by auditing, and the problem is this:  instead of calculating INDEX(vh,1,1) which would be correct, it ends up with INDEX("vh",1,1).  How can I do it so the quotation marks don't appear?

city_zen:
Have you tried nesting the functions?
i.e. =INDEX(OFFSET('Vahik Haddadian'!$A$2,0,0,COUNTA('Vahik Haddadian'!$A:$A),5),1,1)

Not blindingly elegant, mind you, but maybe effective

Update: took me a while, but I think I've just understood the problem  :D  Ignore my previous post

I think you may be missing an INDIRECT function somewhere there, so that G2 gets evaluated.
The formula would probably have to be
--- ---=INDEX(INDIRECT(G2),1,1)
Let us know if that solves the problem

superboyac:
You know, I thought of the indirect function also, and I tried it and it didn't work.  I have no logical explanation for it.  Like you, I could have sworn that was the right solution.  More on this Monday when I'm back at work.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version