ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Should licensed Vista users get free upgrade to Windows 7?

<< < (9/15) > >>

Hirudin:
I would love to join the fray and bash on the Vista haters of the world, but instead I'll just say that I've been running Vista X64 since about a month after it came out (if memory serves me correctly) and it's been great! All the computers I've owned have probably crashed on me a total of 5 times (and I'm on my computer practically every waking hour of the day).

Why have I had such great luck while others have had the opposite? I chalk it up to a few things...
- I used a fresh install of Vista, none of the crap OEMs get paid to bloat up computers was ever running on mine.
- My hardware has been higher end (2.4 ghz AMD dual core and 2.4 ghz Intel quad core, each with a decent video card (7800GTX and 8800GT respectively) and 2gb of RAM) (They were home-built computers - maybe the motherboards/PSUs were better?)
- I gravitate to "portable" software, maybe that has something to do with why it works?
- I can't stand programs like Acrobat Reader, Nero, and Microsoft Office (which seem to get more and more bloated with each new pointless release) so therefor don't install them... don't get me started on iTunes and Quicktime... They will NEVER be on another one of my computers if I have anything to do about it.

I don't even mess with the install that much... For instance I leave UAC turned on. I do disable the indexer though (am I the only one who doesn't have to search for their own files?)

Hmmm... I've had this copy (Business x64) installed for more than a year probably and my Windows directory is just shy of 9gb.

Oh yeah, about the free upgrade... I guess free doesn't make a lot of sense, but a $50 "we want you to buy this right away" discounted price sounds like a good idea to me.

Darwin:
Oh yeah, about the free upgrade... I guess free doesn't make a lot of sense, but a $50 "we want you to buy this right away" discounted price sounds like a good idea to me.
-Hirudin (November 16, 2008, 03:48 PM)
--- End quote ---

Hear, hear!

kartal:
Recently Vista update disabled one my of my laptops`s wireless and all the usb ports, which i could not get them back.  I tried updates, reverts,system restore etc. I just installed XP and everything  started working like charm. I was nearly going to send my laptop to Toshiba and later I figured out that it was not the laptop itselfs. I do not know why people think that Vista is a great Os. I even had alot of networking problems with my other non vista machines, while xp machines were way easy to setup.

Josh:
kartal: You do realize that 90% of problems encountered with windows updates are conflicts with drivers not with the OS itself right? Vista updates, in fact windows updates back to win95, have never affected me negatively. Not a single patch has messed up my system that wasnt due to my own fault or the fault of me using a beta/non-official driver.

Shades:
@Josh:
Although I'm inclined to agree with you, I'll side with Kartal on the Windows updates. Mainly because of my own experience fixing/working with army computers, ISP servers, helpdesk computers, POS systems and ICPC's (ICU = Ignorant Client P.C.), ranging from Windows 3.11 till Vista (including Server editions).

Consider yourself lucky if you yourself did not experience (self induced) Windows update problems. Especially in the army (with certified computers) updates were feared...the POS systems were also a headache but that was mainly because of the POS software itself...created by an official Microsoft Business partner using certified hardware.

After a force fed update by MS on an ISP server (read: traffic monitor) we lost two days of data because there was a fix for the force fed update required (netto result: 15.000 euro's of lost revenue...and a dramatic increase of Linux servers replacing the Windows systems).

Yes, with the ICPC's I agree that drivers and their (mis-)use were the main reason for failure and a good source of income I might add...so you could consider me a little biased ;) 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version