ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Rats! MS Auto Updates Got Me Again!

<< < (7/7)

manimatters:
Also, and I know that this matters - I have an AMD chip instead of Intel. Changes made by MS are tested much more thoroughly on Intel-based machines than with AMD chips. (Probably because there are more Intel machines??)

Jim
-J-Mac (November 02, 2008, 12:59 AM)
--- End quote ---

Im also running an AMD chip, and doesnt it doesnt seem to be a problem, maybe my rabbit foot works!!

J-Mac:
Man!  You guys/gals are just teasing me!

OK, it's not like I have problems with every update; just maybe three (or so?) that have really gotten me.

First one was back in April 2006, maybe? The update that installed a program that somehow facilitates the prefetch function. That same update also added, I believe, the new and - IMO, not improved - WinSxS manifest mess, which in turn messed big time with XP's DEP, or Data Execution Prevention. That update and the idiocy of a few developers caused me a lot of grief. TechSmith was one, and Mindjet was another. Both got lazy and when Windows Installer 3 was released instead of building new installer packages in WI3 they simply copied over the code they had used in Windows Installer 2 to the new WI3. Version 2 hadn't had to deal with the new WinSxS manifest stuff, but 3 did. That made both SnagIt and Mind Manager Pro go haywire after I installed them.

Both now must be listed in my DEP exclusion list or they will not even appear when I try to start them. (Or at least until I reinstalled Windows after that!)

Now this post will draw out another dozen members here who will post how they are soooo lucky!  (Creeps!)   ;)

Jim

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version