ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Best Python IDE

<< < (10/12) > >>

Tuxman:
So for me it's back to vim and its sessions feature, which is all I need for now.
-housetier (December 07, 2009, 03:06 AM)
--- End quote ---
Vim is all a coder needs.  :Thmbsup:

kakarukeys:
has anyone used Wingware Python IDE (commercial)? Looks good from the company's own description, but I haven't read any 3rd party review about it.

housetier:
The only commercial IDE that ever really delivered was Together from TogetherSoft. After they were bought by the JBuilder producers (forgot which name they had back then; it was changing frequently), it disappeared from my radar and hasn't popped up anywhere ever since.

I have had to work with JBuilder, VisualStudio and find them "too much": there is too much visual noise around my code to concentrate well. That soured my experience with commercial IDEs somewhat. However the problem also applies to free IDEs such as Netbeans or Eclipse.

Some of these are really great for refactoring though.

urlwolf:
IntelliJ IDEA is a fantastic commercial editor, and now they are releasing it open-source (with the paid version having features I don't need). Great news.

Good python support, no debugger but it has very good test integration, and the navigation in general is outstanding.

kartal:
If people don't need a "big IDE", but want something to help them code in python, there is bpython. It features a completion system similar to IntelliSense, which is quite neat. However, I haven't used bpython much myself, so I can't say how stable it is, or if there are annoyances.

I haven't used PIDA lately, because I couldn't get it to start. So for me it's back to vim and its sessions feature, which is all I need for now. I don't do much refactoring or gui stuff (yet)...

-housetier (December 07, 2009, 03:06 AM)
--- End quote ---

Bpython looks good, at the moment I am under windows but will try it under my Ubuntu box.

On the otherhand there is Ipython which is great and wors in all platforms, I believe it is similar to Bpython

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version