topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday April 18, 2024, 8:16 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: SOLVED: List Newest Files In Some Folder  (Read 6730 times)

nkormanik

• Participant
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
SOLVED: List Newest Files In Some Folder
« on: June 24, 2012, 06:07 PM »

On request 4wd provided an excellent program to dynamically monitor the number and total size of files in a particular folder -- FolMon:

https://www.donation...ex.php?topic=31347.0

It's great for keeping track of a file-generating process that should be steadily adding files to the folder, to glance over and see numbers changing, getting larger.  The computer resources overhead seems negligable running FolMon.  I'll have it on two computers, one on either side of my main computer, running for months to come.

I have an additional related request now:

Double-click a desktop icon to bring up a small window showing the most recent files (created or modified, either one would do) within that folder.  Number of files = 5... would be great.

No need to go deeper than a single level -- just the folder itself.

No need to keep dynamically updating.  Periodically as desired user can double-click and see the result.  This way he/she will have a better idea where progress has gotten to in the overall job being monitored.

4wd might think to add it to his existing FolMon -- an additional little window within FolMon that shows file names of new files as they are added -- but doing so probably would add too much to overhead resource hogging.  Plus it's just a once-in-a-while request that user would likely be wanting, no continuous need.

I've noted out there lots of programmers requesting code to accomplish the task above -- in Python, C++, etc. -- but no simple little Windows program to do it.

Double-click ---> List 5 most recent files in folder XYZ.

I'd sure appreciate having this.

One can, as an alternative, use Windows Explorer in details mode, columns sorted on Modified (etc.) in descending order, then hit refresh periodically.  But..., if the folder has a really large number of files, the refresh takes a long time.  Maybe, though, most of you would suggest this route.  If so, that's what I'll do.

Nicholas Kormanik
[email protected]

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: SOLVED: List Newest Files In Some Folder
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2012, 06:13 PM »
Something like Karen's Directory Printer might be interesting. It's pretty fast, and generates a text file you can save and do things with later.

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2012, 06:31 AM »
You might prefer a different way of displaying it in Explorer. Right click and select Arrange icons by> Modified. Then check off Show in Groups.

Unlike the standard details view, when new files are added, they are auto-sorted into the groups, rather than being added to the bottom of the list, so there is no refreshing involved to keep them sorted.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2012, 06:46 AM »
This is only tangentially related to the question, but you can use my Launchbar Commander tool to create a toolbar with "folder menus", buttons you click to show the contents of a folder (or more than one folder), and you can set filters on how the contents of a folder can be displayed, including filtering it by date and subdirectory patterns, like so:
Screenshot - 6_25_2012 , 6_42_57 AM.png

Might be useful if you want to be able to quickly check the contents of your folder simply by pushing a button on a docked toolbar.

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2012, 07:13 AM »
you may be interested in FileDraft by DoCo member [user]ak_[/user]. this program is designed to display the latest files from a folder in a menu.

https://www.donation...dex.php?topic=9500.0

nkormanik

• Participant
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2012, 10:53 AM »

Thanks all for suggestions, especially lanux128.  ak_'s FileDraft does exactly what I was asking for.  And really speedy.

So..., unless someone else has something to add, Skwire, you can consider this request DONE.