ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Help me with MS Word styles

<< < (6/14) > >>

superboyac:
i echo 40hz' sentiments on both counts.  Firstly, I have to repeat how amazing those McGhie articles are.  Not only has it calmed me down, but it has gotten me very excited about Word.  I have to honestly say that it is one of the most useful things I have come across on the internet in a long, long time.

Anyway, about 40hz somewhat off-topic point that I brought up...yes, when it comes to work, I get very goal-oriented.  I used to be goal-oriented 100% of the time and quite irritable about it.  but as I've grown older and wiser, I've learned to appreciate the process a lot more.  And what's more, I've tried my best to be less irritable about it all, and embrace both sides.  Often times now, I realize that it is wiser to appreciate the process rather than the final product. Why?  I feel that's where the socializing and interaction is taking place, and that is a beautifully human thing.  I attribute my 'ends justify the means" to my immature side now.

But, again, with work it's different.  At work, you have to get things done.  Too many people are not getting things done, i get really sensitive about it.  At some point, you have to be the ass and put on that face.  You have to.  So, please forgive me for that mode, that's my work personality!

Target:
Anyway, about 40hz somewhat off-topic point that I brought up...yes, when it comes to work, I get very goal-oriented.  I used to be goal-oriented 100% of the time and quite irritable about it.  but as I've grown older and wiser, I've learned to appreciate the process a lot more.  And what's more, I've tried my best to be less irritable about it all, and embrace both sides.  Often times now, I realize that it is wiser to appreciate the process rather than the final product. Why?  I feel that's where the socializing and interaction is taking place, and that is a beautifully human thing.  I attribute my 'ends justify the means" to my immature side now.

But, again, with work it's different.  At work, you have to get things done.  Too many people are not getting things done, i get really sensitive about it.  At some point, you have to be the ass and put on that face.  You have to.  So, please forgive me for that mode, that's my work personality!
-superboyac (May 13, 2010, 08:13 PM)
--- End quote ---

there is nothing wrong with this approach, in moderation...

unfortunately there is a real danger that you can be percieved as not actually getting anything done because your continually asking everyone else for a solution to your problems.  

And unless you can show that you've been trying to resolve an issue people can become reluctant to help because you're interrupting whatever it is they're trying to do so they can solve your problems.

please don't take this as a personal criticism.

I understood what you were getting at and it's not intended that way, it's just another point of view and something maybe worth considering...

superboyac:
Target, I understand what you are saying.  I probably am not expressing it accurately.  I'm pretty well respected at work...I know how to balance this stuff better than I'll be able to describe.

But for this thread, I apologize for my ranting.  The styles are just a sore topic with me.  I have no problem with anyone here, it's my favorite forum from top to bottom.  Also, after reading the articles by kfitting, I'm realizing my ranting was out of place, because it's me that doesn't understand how Word works, and not a fault of MS Word.

Target:
Target, I understand what you are saying.  I probably am not expressing it accurately.  I'm pretty well respected at work...I know how to balance this stuff better than I'll be able to describe.-superboyac (May 13, 2010, 10:37 PM)
--- End quote ---

not a problem, I was worried you'd take it personally, when it wasn't meant to be.

Good thing here is that your interest has been piqued, which means you'll probably try and learn more - downside is then people will be pestering you for solutions to their problems :Thmbsup:

For all the negative stuff we see and hear about all things MS, at the end of the day their office suite is incredibly capable and powerful if we only knew how to use it to it's fullest (I know I wish I did  :-[)     

40hz:
I'm pretty well respected at work...
-superboyac (May 13, 2010, 10:37 PM)
--- End quote ---

And here. (I'd hire you.)  :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version