ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

which Linux version for my laptop

<< < (4/7) > >>

Lutz_:
Mandriva Linux One 2008/1 gave me the least hassles and troubles on my Dell Inspiron notebook that I am running as dual-boot with win XP ( I did also try Mint, Kubuntu, Ubuntu, Mepis, Suse, PC Linux OS).   Apparently Mandriva 2009 was just released - I have not tired the newest version yet.

http://www.mandriva.com/en/product/mandriva-linux-one

thorazine74:
I would also recommend Mandriva over Ubuntu but any of them would be ok.
Whatever you choose I would advise to research if your network connection hardware is well supported under the distribution you will install. So even if you have troubles with other hardware you can be sure that you have connectivity to download drivers, package updates or just simply ask for help on the net.

Darwin:
I ran Mandriva about three years ago and really liked it as well...

Armando:
Like what zridling said : a few live cds should be downloaded and tried. Sometimes though, you can get hardware  that doesn't work with the live CD to work after installation...

Ubuntu, Linux Mint, PC Linux OS (and the gnome version), Kubuntu, Xubuntu, Mepis, mandriva.

Not one distribution will work flawlessly on all hardware, that's why it's good to try different ones and stick with the one you prefer. Of course, I think you'll get better support overall if you go with one of the Ubuntu flavours (Kubuntu, Xubuntu, Mint) , or Suse... but many swear by PCLinuxOS (and its different flavors), and others love Mandriva (beware though : might cost you more in the long run!), etc. Personally, I had less problems with (in order) : Ubuntu, Mint, Mandriva, PCLinux OS (Mepis might work for some, but I've had problems in the past... And I like to have an easy choice between KDE and Gnome, etc.)_.

So...  :)

BTW : Ubuntu's release candidate went public Friday ( or was it thursday...??)

Lutz_:
.... and others love Mandriva (beware though : might cost you more in the long run!)
--- End quote ---
Why would that be?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version